Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi :-D
what does it mean when you say "I wanna get all sentimental " ??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi :-D
What does it mean when you say "I wanna get all sentimental"? [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]

It's not something I would ever say, but if I heard it, I would understand it to mean "I want to feel sad or tender about the past, or to feel nostalgic, about someone or something".

Remember that "wanna" is not correct written English unless you are directly quoting someone who actually said "want to" so that it sounded like "wanna".

ragheda

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's not something I would ever say, but if I heard it, I would understand it to mean "I want to feel sad or tender about the past, or to feel nostalgic, about someone or something".

Remember that "wanna" is not correct written English unless you are directly quoting someone who actually said "want to" so that it sounded like "wanna".

Thank you a lot
Here is the context that I heard it in "
He's got something special and when he's looking at me, I wanna get all sentimental "

It's from a song by Miley Cyrus " he could be the one "

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, song lyrics! The bane of our lives. Bear in mind that song lyrics are frequently ungrammatical. Song writers choose words which rhyme or scan or fit the rhythm of the music. They don't think about grammar when writing songs.

Having said that, there's nothing particularly ungrammatical about this particular line. I guess it just means "He's a special person and when he looks at me, I want to be all soppy".

ragheda

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Ah, song lyrics! The bane of our lives. Bear in mind that song lyrics are frequently ungrammatical. Song writers choose words which rhyme or scan or fit the rhythm of the music. They don't think about grammar when writing songs.

Having said that, there's nothing particularly ungrammatical about this particular line. I guess it just means "He's a special person and when he looks at me, I want to be all soppy".
Thank you, emsr2d2 so much :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.