Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

On a cold Saturday in early 2009, Glenn Black, a yoga teacher of nearly four decades, whose devoted clientele includes a number of celebrities and prominent gurus, was giving a master class at Sankalpah Yoga in Manhattan. Black is, in many ways, a classic yogi: he studied in Pune, India, at the institute founded by the legendary B. K. S. Iyengar, and spent years in solitude and meditation.

(How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body. The NY Times)

Does "classic" here mean "typical (as in "classic example", "classic error")"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know anything about yoga styles, but I know that there is at least one 'non-classic' sort - that, for example, Andy Murray practices ('Hot yoga', I think). So isn't there a chance that 'classic' here refers to a style - 'traditional' more than 'quintessential' - the sort of yoga this yogi espouses rather than his status as a teacher.

b

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I don't know anything about yoga styles, but I know that there is at least one 'non-classic' sort - that, for example, Andy Murray practices ('Hot yoga', I think). So isn't there a chance that 'classic' here refers to a style - 'traditional' more than 'quintessential' - the sort of yoga this yogi espouses rather than his status as a teacher.

b
There is, indeed, a chance that "classic" could refer to the style of yoga taught by Glenn Black. Good spot, Bob. :up:
It didn't occur to me to look at it in that light. I developed my answer based on the definition and use of the word "yogi" (a person who is proficient in yoga).

Status
Not open for further replies.