Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why do they use a plural form of "armies" in these two? I think "army" is sufficient to denote the meaning, but does the plural form have any real plural meanings like multiple armies combining many regiments, batallions, etc?

ex1) Before the year of 1500, the Mayas, Aztecs, and Incas were three great civilizations in Mexico and South America. All three were defeated by Spanish armies,but some historians say that with the armies came an even more horrifying weapon : small pox.
ex2)... One famous example is Napoleon's invasion of Russia. At the time, many people thought he was going to conquer all of Europe. But he sent his armies into Russia during the winter, and they were defeated because of the severe cold....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do they use a plural form of "armies" in these two? I think "army" is sufficient to denote the meaning, but does the plural form have any real plural meanings like multiple armies combining many regiments, batallions, etc?

ex1) Before the year of 1500, the Mayas, Aztecs, and Incas were three great civilizations in Mexico and South America. All three were defeated by Spanish armies,but some historians say that with the armies came an even more horrifying weapon : small pox.
ex2)... One famous example is Napoleon's invasion of Russia. At the time, many people thought he was going to conquer all of Europe. But he sent his armies into Russia during the winter, and they were defeated because of the severe cold....

I am fairly certain that the Mayans, the Aztecs and the Incas were not all defeated by the same Spanish army (ie the same people). At each battle, there was a different Spanish army, so in three battles there would be three different Spanish armies.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am fairly certain that the Mayans, the Aztecs and the Incas were not all defeated by the same Spanish army (ie the same people). At each battle, there was a different Spanish army, so in three battles there would be three different Spanish armies.

[not at teacher]

How do you explain the second example?

ex2)... One famous example is Napoleon's invasion of Russia.

Also, related? There are a few English words that are plural on their face, but occationally require the plural form:

monies
peoples
fishes
fruits

As a native speaker, I usually know when these should be used, but without thinking hard about it now, I really don't know the usage rule(s) offhand...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't explain the Napoleon example. There, I would have used "army".

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would have also used "army". Perhaps "armies" sounds more intimidating? He sent a horde, vs. he sent hordes?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
United States Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See the US Army, for example. While the term in the singular collectively refers to all of the ground-based fighting forces, the "army" is itself divided into divisions which are also called "armies." For example, US Third Army, US Army Africa, US Army Pacific.

So it's entirely possible that Napoleon had different subdivisions of his forces, each which was known as an army, and together these armies went to Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.