other/another

I have problems with using OTHER and ANOTHER. Could you please try to explain the difference between them?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Bahrain
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain

Re: other/another

other used with two things or more

another means one more

any better explanation with examples?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Don't know that I can see the rule for this, but the words are used as follows...
    She had another boyfriend.

He was the other boyfriend.

Would you like another cup of tea?

Where is your other cup? Where are your other cups?

"Do you have any other tea"? (This means you want a different kind of tea than the one you had last time)

"Could I have another tea, please"? (This means you already had a specific kind of tea and now you want one more cup of the same kind)

So, if I have a list of something (e.g. various sports) and describe each one, which (other/another) should I use?:
    Water sports inlude swimming. The another (?) water sport is for example diving. The other (?) group of sports is outdoor sports. These include for example football, baseball...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

The other watersport
    The other group of sports
    OR
    Another watersport
    Another group of sports

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    So, if I have a list of something (e.g. various sports) and describe each one, which (other/another) should I use?:
    Water sports inlude swimming. The another (?) water sport is for example diving. The other (?) group of sports is outdoor sports. These include for example football, baseball...

I know all this can be a little confusing. Let's try this:

The difference between "other" and "another" is that in "other" you are emphasizing something ELSE, something DIFFERENT from what was before.
    In "another" you are emphasizing that something is SIMILAR, or THE SAME as before.

example with "other":

Let's say you told someone that you like swimming.That person doesn't like swimming and he asks you if you do ANY OTHER water sports. He wants to know if you do anything ELSE that is NOT connected to swimming. The emphasis lies in the DIFFERENCE between swimming and, say, diving. Even though in diving you may also be swimming sometimes, the main point is to show that diving is DIFFERENT from swimming.

example with "another":

You tell someone that you do a lot of sports and you tell him that you do a lot of swimming. That person likes to hear about all kinds of sports, so you tell him that diving is ANOTHER sport that you like doing. Here the emphasis lies in the way you COMBINE both swimming AND diving. You want to show that BOTH of these are sports that you can do. They are BOTH in the water, etc. Even though both sports are quite different, this difference is not important now. You are emphasizing that diving is another sport that you do, as well as swimming.

another example: (I'm using the word "another" because the next example I'm giving you makes the SAME point as the previous example)

You have two red T-shirts in your cupboard. They are THE SAME. You bought them together. When you look inside your cupboard you see one red T-shirt and then ANOTHER one. They look the same.

You spill some sauce on one T-shirt.

Now one T-shirt has a big stain at the front. Even though they are the same, for you these are now two DIFFERENT T-shirts, one clean one and the OTHER one with a stain. You can now talk about the "OTHER" T-shirt because for you they are easily seperated. They are NOT THE SAME any more. One you can still wear to a party and the other one only at home when no one sees you. It is ruined.
    Last edited by Johannes; 07-Nov-2005 at 23:08.

Thank you, Johannes. It is a nice explanatipon. However, I think I will still make mistakes in using these two, for me confusing, words.