Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
[...] and she was in all other ways articulate and ... what would happen if [...]
(BBC Radio 4; MedMatters: Am I Really Free 22 Dec 11)
View attachment she was.mp3

What is said between 'and' and 'what would happen'?

Thanks.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Full quote: “So she appeared to understand the implications of her refusal, and she was in all other ways articulate and known what would happen if she refused treatment.”

[not a teacher]

I'm not sure the verb is in the correct tense in the quote, but that's what she said. Hopefully a teacher can comment.

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, BobSmith.

I thought that I misheard it because I simply can't see how it fits there.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Full quote: “So she appeared to understand the implications of her refusal, and she was in all other ways articulate and known what would happen if she refused treatment.”

[not a teacher]

I'm not sure the verb is in the correct tense in the quote, but that's what she said. Hopefully a teacher can comment.
Yes, the woman speaking appears hesitant, perhaps a bit nervous looking for the right words, since it's an interview. And she's using long sentences. So, we can assume that is spontaneous unprepared speech for wide public consumption, and the ungrammatical verb doesn't need much more explaining than that it occurred in such a context.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[not a teacher]

I would correct it as:

“So she appeared to understand the implications of her refusal, and she was in all other ways articulate and should have known what would happen if she refused treatment.” (which I think is the intent)

or simply:

“So she appeared to understand the implications of her refusal, and she was in all other ways articulate and knew what would happen if she refused treatment.”

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well I think Ray's right (about the speaker wondering how to word it), and she says 'knowing' - not a great choice of words, but she was thinking about the patient's state of mind. (Of course, maybe she started to say 'know', but realized that she should have said 'knew' - too late, though, as the vowel had already come and gone!. So she tried to patch it up - not very successfully - with a half-hearted '-ing'. Either way, you get the idea suprunp.)

b

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So she tried to patch it up - not very successfully - with a half-hearted '-ing'.
[not at stenographer :)]

I'm quite sure she says "known" and not "knowing".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On reflection [and re-audition;-)] I think you're right. And, it being on BBC Radio 4 (;-)) I think that the rather ornate structure she had in mind, although her utterance didn't quite keep up with her literary pretensions, was “So she appeared to understand the implications of her refusal, and she was in all other ways articulate and [seemed to have] known what would happen if she refused treatment.”

b

Status
Not open for further replies.