• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

see you for what you are.

What's the difference between "see you for what you are." and "see you as what you are"? "See you for what you are" seems to mean "they will think of you as what you behave and say", right?
    ex)Have you ever said to your kids, "I will take you to Disneyland if you clean up your toys"? If and when an adult chooses to do something for a child or with a child that the child would like, it should not be any payoff....A promise that is made verbally and not done is a debt. Debt of any kind is failure and will only lead to disappointment. Most parents try very hard never to lie to their children, but promised can lead to parents lying. Your child may not notice the first time, but eventually he/she will see you for what you are. They will not call you a debtor; they will call you a liar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: see you for what you are.

"see you for what you are" = find out what sb is like - is he a good person, bad person, how this person acts.

"they will think of you as what you behave and say" - it is also a good explanation IMO.

"see you as you are" = see someone's real face, how this person acts in everyday life.

e.g.
    Now I see you for what you really are.
    Now I see you as you really are.
    - some situation has happened that helped us to see what somebody is like.

I think they both can have the same meaning but for me "see sb for what sb is" has negative association. If someone has some other thoughts concerning this subject I would like to hear them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: see you for what you are.

"for" seems to have the meaning of "qualification" according to grammar books, so there seems to be little difference between "for" and "as", but I'm not sure.