Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

I know that we can say:
play football, tennis....
go swimming, surfing....
do aerobics, judo.....

But, when making reference to all of them, without specifying any in particular, can we say: I like doing sports?

Thank you.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Doing sports is acceptable. However i'd say playing sports. It sounds better to me.
Hope it helps

snoopy5376

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
For play, play a game (must be more than 1 people), example, play badminton, play football.
The sport that follows by do can be done alone, and at home. for example, do gymnastics, do yoga.
As for go, the sport that follows cant be done at home. and normally it is followed by ing. for example, go swimming, go fishing, go skiing.

hope this helps

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For 'play', play a game (must be more than 1 [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] person), for example, 'play badminton', 'play football'.
The sports that follow[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] 'do' can be done alone, and at home. for example, 'do gymnastics', 'do yoga'.
As for 'go', the sport' that follow[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] can't be done at home., and normally it is followed by a verb ending in '-ing'., for example, 'go swimming',' go fishing', 'go skiing'.
These are good guideleines, but note that you can play solitatire and other card games on your own.

Personally, I think of yoga, aerobics, and other indoor things as 'activities' rather than 'sports'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
These are good guideleines, but note that you can play solitatire and other card games on your own.

Personally, I think of yoga, aerobics, and other indoor things as 'activities' rather than 'sports'.
"Other indoor things?" What about indoor cricket? What about American basketball? What about when they close the roof at Wimbledon?
I guess you mean things you can do in your own lounge room.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Someone once told me a very general rule: if you keep score or if there's a way way to "win," you play it, and if there's no score, you do it.

I'm sure there are a lot of exceptions, but that's not a bad place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.