Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 92
    #1

    grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Hi guys I'm new here and want to understand English as the natives so I'll have a lot of questions to ask here ...

    I have here some doubts in the next phrases ...

    What is "grounded" here?
    Is "Questioned whether" means he was wondering?
    I have no idea what is "nibbling around the edges"

    "his spouse had her own career in the city; her mother lived nearby; the girls were happy,
    grounded, in a wonderful school. But Obama missed them all terribly and questioned whether the separation was worth it when all he seemed to be doing in the Senate was nibbling around the edges."

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #2

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Quote Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
    Hi guys I'm new here and want to understand English as the natives so I'll have a lot of questions to ask here ...

    I have here some doubts in the next phrases ...

    What is "grounded" here?
    Is "Questioned whether" means he was wondering?
    I have no idea what is "nibbling around the edges"

    "his spouse had her own career in the city; her mother lived nearby; the girls were happy,
    grounded, in a wonderful school. But Obama missed them all terribly and questioned whether the separation was worth it when all he seemed to be doing in the Senate was nibbling around the edges."
    Welcome to the forums, flowersa. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will find several questions on the subject of "grounded". If, after reading them, you still have questions you are welcome to ask them.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Quote Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
    Hi guys I'm new here and want to understand English as the natives so I'll have a lot of questions to ask here ...

    I have here some doubts in the next phrases ...

    What is "grounded" here?
    Is "Questioned whether" means he was wondering? Yes
    I have no idea what is "nibbling around the edges"
    I'll assume you know the literal meaning of this - taking tiny bites from the edge of something.
    It means he wants a larger bite of the power pie/cake/biscuit. "If you nibble around the edges" of something, you are not making a big difference to it. This is a man who wants to change the whole pie. He wants the authority to take a carving knife to it and, if necessary, cleave it in twain (cut it in half). So basically, it means his ambitions were being frustrated. He didn't feel he had enough power to change things.


    "his spouse had her own career in the city; her mother lived nearby; the girls were happy,
    grounded, in a wonderful school. But Obama missed them all terribly and questioned whether the separation was worth it when all he seemed to be doing in the Senate was nibbling around the edges."
    Bhai has already dealt well with 'grounded'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 92
    #4

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Welcome to the forums, flowersa. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will find several questions on the subject of "grounded". If, after reading them, you still have questions you are welcome to ask them.
    Hi bhaisahab thanks :)
    My problem for me as not English speaker is that I'm always not sure about the proper meaning of the words yes? So I had to come and ask here because I'm trying to understand it really good ...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 92
    #5

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Bhai has already dealt well with 'grounded'.
    Hi Raymott I didn't understand the literal meaning for this phrase but now with your great explantion I understad it perfectly thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 92
    #6

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    I still don't understand "grounded" here, I know only the meaning where a parent gets angry and say "you're grounded"!

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Quote Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
    I still don't understand "grounded" here, I know only the meaning where a parent gets angry and say "you're grounded"!
    Did you read this one:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...-grounded.html
    Also see:
    http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/grounded
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grounded

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 92
    #8

    Re: grounded, in a wonderful school and others

    Hi Raymott ...

    I did read all the thread but didn't understand it after
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-grounded.html

    Also see:
    Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grounded

    The first page was helpful for me, thanks :)

Similar Threads

  1. grounded
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2012, 21:06
  2. being grounded
    By Tack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2011, 18:35
  3. Grounded
    By Antonio in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2004, 05:25
  4. grounded theory
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2004, 23:57
  5. I am not grounded today.
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2004, 09:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •