Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I had the notion that "full time" vs "part time' is in terms of the length of working hourse, while "permanent" vs "contract(temporary)" , the type of contract.
But when I worked in Canada, "full time" seemed to mean "permanent worker" as well as normally permanent workers work full time. Is it correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Full-time' means working the number of hours required to receive the full salary. 'Part-time' means working fewer hours. If a salary of £24,000 a year requires 40 hours of work a week, then somebody who works only 10, or even 36, hours a week is employed on a part-time basis.

Employment on a permanent basis means that no time-limit is mentioned in the contract. Employment on a temporary basis means that a time-limit is mentioned.

So, you can be a permanent or temporary part-time or full-time employee.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
'Full-time' means working the number of hours required to receive the full salary. 'Part-time' means working fewer hours. If a salary of £24,000 a year requires 40 hours of work a week, then somebody who works only 10, or even 36, hours a week is employed on a part-time basis.

Employment on a permanent basis means that no time-limit is mentioned in the contract. Employment on a temporary basis means that a time-limit is mentioned.

So, you can be a permanent or temporary part-time or full-time employee.

Thank you, so normally full time worker = permanent worker, or doesn't it imply permanent or temporary? Do you also use contract worker for temporary worker? Are these two switchable?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you, so normally full time worker = permanent worker, NO or doesn't it imply permanent or temporary? It doesn't Do you also use contract worker for temporary worker? Are these two switchable? That's a different question. Let's try not to complicate things.
Did you even read my last post?
Never mind. Ave et vale.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As 5jj said, you can be employed

Full-time permanent
Full-time temporary
Part-time permanent
Part-time temporary

I believe at the moment, in the UK, you are deemed to be part-time if you work fewer than 29 hours per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.