what exactly does "my heart aches for you" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers:

When I say"my heart aches for you'"( which should sound romantic:-D), what exactly does it imply?

my guesses:

1: my heart aches because i think of you too much(say "you" are my dream girl or someone like that)
2: my heart aches because of your suffering

I actually want to use this sentence for the meanning of guess 2.
So as English native speakers, do you think I can use "my heart aches for you" to mean guess 2?

Thank you so much!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1 is very close, it means he yearns for her, or loves her.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thx for the reply!

so if I want it to mean the second meanning, can I only say 'my heart aches for your suffering" or is there a better(more concise and romantic) choice possibly:)?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
A common phrase for the meaning you want is "I feel for you". It's an expression of empathy.

"I heard that your business has shut down. I really feel for you, knowing how hard you worked on it".
"I'm sorry that your cat has died. I feel for you as one cat lover to another".

Another possibility is "my heart goes out to you".
But you have to careful with this type of phrase because they are often used in a sarcastic manner. For example "I feel your suffering/pain" would often be correctly interpreted by a native speaker as being an exaggeration that is actually making fun of their, perhaps trivial, problem.
(a) Oh no! I've broken my nail.
(b) Poor girl, I feel your pain – now hurry up and get ready.

not a teacher

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot JMurry! Your answer is very exhaustive and helpful and I appreciate it!

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
as for "my heart goes out to you", I am a little confused about the phrase" go out" used in here. Does it seem to mean something like 'light goes out" or something else? what does"go out" in here mean?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
as for "my heart goes out to you", I am a little confused about the phrase" go out" used in here. Does it seem to mean something like 'light goes out" or something else? what does"go out" in here mean?.

No, it's not in the sense of "to be extinguished", like a light.

It means to go from within you and out towards someone else. So the phrase is a metaphor for reaching out to someone and offering them comfort and sympathy.
"My heart goes out to all those parents who are struggling to raise their children in the midst of poverty".
"The Prime Minister said that his heart goes out to all those people affected by the earthquake".

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks Murray! It's clear to me now!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
thx for the reply!

so if I want it to mean the second meanning, can I only say 'my heart aches for your suffering" or is there a better(more concise and romantic) choice possibly:)?

I guess you can use it for the second meaning too, as long as the context shows it's not romantic. You should begin every sentence with a capital letter, otherwise teachers will be annoyed and won't answer you.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
thx for the reply!

Suggestion:
Considering you have come across the expression my heart goes out to you, which means empathise with someone, why don't you use it in your second example? It may be clearer and you'd avoid any romantic connotations.
Hope it helps.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I guess you can use it for the second meaning too, as long as the context shows it's not romantic. You should begin every sentence with a capital letter, otherwise teachers will be annoyed and won't answer you.

Thanks for reminding me of that:). I will try my best to make whatever I write grammatically correct.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Suggestion:
Considering you have come across the expression my heart goes out to you, which means empathise with someone, why don't you use it in your second example? It may be clearer and you'd avoid any romantic connotations.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for your suggestion:). However I don't want to avoid romantic connotations(maybe my words before were being confusing? sorry:)), I actually want to stress that.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I actually seem to have a new idea about trying to make it sound romantic(at least to me:-D). How about "If it breaks your heart, it breaks my heart too/as well"?

Does it sound romantic to native speakers?(If not, that's fine:))

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I actually seem to have a new idea about trying to make it sound romantic(at least to me:-D). How about "If it breaks your heart, it breaks my heart too/as well"?

Does it sound romantic to native speakers?(If not, that's fine:))
To me it sounds cheesy and fake. But I'm not the person you intend to address. Whatever you choose to say, the important thing is how the hearer will interpret it. And do you really feel that way?

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To me it sounds cheesy and fake. But I'm not the person you intend to address. Whatever you choose to say, the important thing is how the hearer will interpret it. And do you really feel that way?

Yeah I think you are right! It really depends on the person I wanna say this to. For most of the guys, very likely it would sound cheesy and would even make them throw up all over the place:-D. But I honestly don't know how girls at different ages would interpret this.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yeah I think you are right! It really depends on the person I wanna say this to. For most of the guys, very likely it would sound cheesy and would even make them throw up all over the place:-D. But I honestly don't know how girls at different ages would interpret this.
OK, if she's 13 she might like it. But you're on your own when it comes to accepting the consequences!

Status
Not open for further replies.