Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello teachers,

Please, has anyone heard this expression "work till you shop" before? I have found it in a book by David JC MacKay "Sustainable energy - without the hot air", where it is introduced as a traditional saying.
Howerer, I have found only something like "shop till you drop", or "work till you drop" which are pretty clear to me.

What could it mean anyway, have no idea. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello teachers,

Please, has anyone heard this expression "work till you drop" before? I have found it in a book by David JC MacKay "Sustainable energy - without the hot air", where it is introduced as a traditional saying.
Howerer, I have found only something like "shop till you drop", or "work till you drop" which are pretty clear to me.

What could it mean anyway, have no idea. Thanks a lot.

[not a teacher]

I think you repeated yourself, see above.

Anyway, my opinion:

"shop till you drop" - a common phrase in AmE
"work till you drop" - not a common phrase in AmE
"work till you shop" - makes no sense in AmE to me.

marvan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hi, yes I have already corrected it :) Thanks. The strange expression I have found goes like "work till you shop".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, yes I have already corrected it :) Thanks. The strange expression I have found goes like "work till you shop".
It's possible that he wrote "work till you shop"*, but you'd need a special context for that to make sense. It's not traditional saying. So, in that respect, either the author is wrong, or you have misunderstood his meaning.

* For example, he might be making a point that you have to work first to make money, and then you can shop. Not knowing the book or the author, it's impossible for me to say - though the title does indicate that there is an element of humour and word play in it.

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
He's most definitely playing on the original phase. I guess what he wants to express by this is that one needn't work oneself into a state of total exhaustion, but that one can do one's work efficiently enough to have enough energy to spare after a day's work to enjoy a little shopping tour which does not relate to shopping alone but to any fun activity.

That's what I get from the title of the book.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It might be a deliberate mixing of metaphors. It's quite popular in American advertising or humor.

Here's another one:

He’s a wolf in cheap clothing.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
He's most definitely playing on the original phase. I guess what he wants to express by this is that one needn't work oneself into a state of total exhaustion, but that one can do one's work efficiently enough to have enough energy to spare after a day's work to enjoy a little shopping tour which does not relate to shopping alone but to any fun activity.

Yes, it's obviously a playful turn of phrase.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Or, he's mocking consumerism by saying he works to shop.

marvan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot to all of you! I agree that he is mocking consumerism by adjusting a traditional saying so that it suits his purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.