[Grammar] "Were not","Had not" or "if it were not etc."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
A) Sentence: Had The Times not given mentioned Justice XYZ's judgement on ABZ's tax case I would not have known her leanings.

Or should it be:

B) Sentence: Were it not for The Times mention of Justice XYZ's judgement on ABZ's tax case I would not have known her leanings.

Or should it be:

C)Sentence: If The Times had not mentioned Justice XYZ's judgement on ABZ's tax case I would not have known her leanings.

Question: I am very confused about how to frame this question And about the use of correct grammar. I am not been able to put or rather confuse between: "Had not", "Were it not", "if it were not for", "If..had not". Kindly help me and tell me which will be the right form here.

NB: XYZ and ABZ have been deliberately used for some reasons. You can replace them with any Judge's name and any company's name respectively for better understanding purpose.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A) Sentence: Had The Times not given mentioned Justice XYZ's judgement on ABZ's tax case I would not have known her leanings.

Or should it be:

B) Sentence: Were it not for The Times mention of Justice XYZ's judgement on ABZ's tax case I would not have known her leanings.

Or should it be:

C)Sentence: If The Times had not mentioned Justice XYZ's judgement on ABZ's tax case I would not have known her leanings.

Question: I am very confused about how to frame this question And about the use of correct grammar. I am not been able to put or rather confuse between: "Had not", "Were it not", "if it were not for", "If..had not". Kindly help me and tell me which will be the right form here.

NB: XYZ and ABZ have been deliberately used for some reasons. You can replace them with any Judge's name and any company's name respectively for better understanding purpose.

Thanks
They are all possible. #1 and #3 are more natural than #2 IMO.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Status
Not open for further replies.