• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

garage (UK) = gas station (US)?

I've been actively using a book (English in 30 days) by Sonia Brough and Carolyn Wittmann in my teaching program. I really like the course. The copy I'm using was translated from German (into Russian), but all the dialogues are voiced-over by native (British) English speakers.
    In one of the lessons, a guys runs out of petrol and has "a long walk to the garage". Now - as someone who lived in the US for many years I was somewhat bewildered to find out "garage" stands for "gas station"!
    Do they really use this word to mean "petrol station" in the UK these days?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: garage (UK) = gas station (US)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennevis View Post
    I've been actively using a book (English in 30 days) by Sonia Brough and Carolyn Wittmann in my teaching program. I really like the course. The copy I'm using was translated from German (into Russian), but all the dialogues are voiced-over by native (British) English speakers.
    In one of the lessons, a guys runs out of petrol and has "a long walk to the garage". Now - as someone who lived in the US for many years I was somewhat bewildered to find out "garage" stands for "gas station"!
    Do they really use this word to mean "petrol station" in the UK these days?
    Sometimes yes, although, "filling station" or "petrol station" are probably more common.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Sometimes yes, although, "filling station" or "petrol station" are probably more common.
    A 'garage' can suggest somewhere that has mechanics. But if you're driving and say 'I think we'll stop at the next garage and fill up' it's clear that it means 'petrol station'. I think 'garage' may be dying out. I doubt if my father ever said 'petrol station'; my son would rarely if ever say 'garage' (except when making allowances for us old fogeys).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I usually refer to it as a petrol station when I'm actually going there to put petrol in my car. However, if I'm just going to the little shop to buy something but not getting petrol, I normally say "I'm going to the garage to buy some biscuits".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the days before the proliferation of convenience store/gas station combinations, a "garage" was a place where you could buy gasoline and where mechanics worked on cars. So, yes, it was one location that could be though of or referred to as either a "gas station" or a "garage."

Over time, such places evolved into convenience stores, the pumps became self-serve and the mechanics disappeared. Now auto repair is a different business entirely from retail sales of cigarettes, soda pop and gasoline.