Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi people!

The classes here in Brazil will begin in soon
How everybody knows I teach what I know for many children and teenagers;-)
So I need some help with the subject that I should teach them

What I need in this moment is not ideas about activities, I need of some directions

In the school where I work we don't have textbook, however I think it will be more easy to me if I follow someone, because I'd have more ideas about what I should teach them. I'd have a sequence.
By the way, I have elementary, midle and high classes

If someone has something to tell me, maybe some site where I find what I need, it will be cool.:lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi people!

The classes here in Brazil will begin [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] soon.
[STRIKE]How everybody knows I teach what I know for many children and teenagers
So I need some help with the subject that I should teach them[/STRIKE] Those two sentences don't make any sense.

What I need [STRIKE]in this moment[/STRIKE] right now is not ideas about activities, I need [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] some direction.[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]

In the school where I work we don't have textbooks. However I think it will be [STRIKE]more easy[/STRIKE] easier [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for me if I follow someone, because I'd have more ideas about what I should teach them. I'd have a sequence.
By the way, I have elementary, [STRIKE]middle[/STRIKE] intermediate and [STRIKE]high[/STRIKE] advanced classes.

If [STRIKE]someone[/STRIKE] anyone has [STRIKE]something[/STRIKE] anything to tell me, maybe some sites where I can find what I need, it [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be cool.:lol:

Hi Educador Zero

Please see the corrections which were necessary to your post. I mean no offence but I am a little concerned that you are teaching English, especially to intermediate and advanced students. There seem to be a lot of areas of your own English which need some serious work.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am a little concerned that you are teaching English
I agree, but this same scenario is being played out all over the world. But how do you get teachers who actually know English to work in, say, the slums of Sao Paulo, or the deserts of inner Mongolia? The majority of students in the world are being taught English by people who know the language slightly better than (and in many cases, not as well as) they do, but certainly not at the level that a native speaker would consider sufficiently competent. Maybe "high classes" or "advanced students" don't have quite the connotations that you or I would give them. It seems to me that EducadorZero must have been an "advanced student" at some stage before he became a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So I need some help with the subject that I should teach them

If someone has something to tell me, maybe some site where I find what I need, it will be cool.:lol:
I believe that the best you can do for them is to use your personality resources to make them self-motivated to learn. Encourage them to learn from genuine sources. It's a pity you have no textbook. Try to find anything good in English, and put it in your school room.

I would seriously de-emphasize telling them anything about English or teaching them what is and isn't correct English - especially in the "high classes". If they ask questions that you can't answer, and you don't have time to find out the answer, tell them "I don't know". That is, instead of being an authority, you should aim to be a motivator. Imagine you were teaching French, German or some language you didn't know well. You will need the same sort of skills.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It may well be the case that "intermediate/advanced" don't have quite the same connotations of level that we're used to.

If the school has no textbooks, then I think the only way to run classes is to find entire lessons from the net, print them out and follow them to the letter.

English Banana is a fantastic website for such lessons.

EducadorZero

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thanks for your corrections, they help my improvement.

But pay attention, please, I didn't write that I teach intermediary and advanced classes
I wanted to say that I help children, teenagers and some adults in a elementary, middle and high school.

I know that I'm not an excellent teacher, by the way... who is?
But my job is try to help poor people in my country with something that I like to do, in this case speak English.

This is the reason that I'm here writing and reading in English, for I have my improvement and can teach better my students.:roll:

"the education and culture become the better world"

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

But pay attention, please, I didn't write that I teach intermediary and advanced classes
I wanted to say that I help children, teenagers and some adults in a elementary, middle and high school.

But my job is try to help poor people in my country with something that I like to do, in this case speak English.

This is the reason that I'm here writing and reading in English, for I have my improvement and can teach better my students.:roll:

You are doing a valuable job, keep at it and keep coming here for guidance. We are very happy to help you in what you are doing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'm sorry if my original reply seemed harsh. I admire anyone who teaches anything - it just concerns me when a teacher doesn't seem to have a good grasp of their subject, especially when it's some of the more rudimentary aspects of that subject.

However, I am sure that you are doing your best and that your students are very grateful for your efforts. It's heartening to know that you want to continue to improve. I join the others in being more than happy to help you in that regard.

Apologies too for misunderstanding what you meant by elementary, middle and high.

Status
Not open for further replies.