Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #1

    Correct usage of 'would'

    Can somebody please explain me the correct usage of would?

    please explain me all the situations where we can use 'would'.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    That is far too big a question to answer in one thread, I am afraid. Post sentences where you are not sure whether would is correct or not. We can then deal with one case at a time.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,515
    #3

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhiteY2K View Post
    Can somebody please explain to me the correct usage of 'would'?

    Please explain to me all the situations where we can use 'would'.
    Welcome to the forum, snowwhite, and congratulations on giving your thread such a great title. Many seasoned posters can't get the hang of that skill.

    Insert your thread title into the Search box at the top of the page and you'll find links to many previous discussions of this topic.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #4

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    That is far too big a question to answer in one thread, I am afraid. Post sentences where you are not sure whether would is correct or not. We can then deal with one case at a time.
    Sir,

    Sentence:
    With enthusiasm, the positive energy we exude would make those around us also enthusiastic.

    i would like to ask whether we can use will here instead of would.

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #5

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post

    Welcome to the forum, snowwhite, and congratulations on giving your thread such a great title. Many seasoned posters can't get the hang of that skill.

    Insert your thread title into the Search box at the top of the page and you'll find links to many previous discussions of this topic.

    Rover
    Thank you Sir.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,515
    #6

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    You're welcome.

    (There's no need to call us Sir. A simple word of thanks is appreciated - or even just a click of the Like button.)

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #7

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    kindly answer my query and explain the example that i have given.

    Thanks.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhiteY2K View Post
    k Kindly answer my query and explain the example that i I have given.
    'Kindly' has an authoritarian ring in BrE. I am sure you did not intend it that way, but it may deter people from responding. We prefer 'please'.

    With enthusiasm, the positive energy we exude would make those around us also enthusiastic.

    Whether 'will' is possible depends on the context. As it stands, with 'would', 'exuded' seems to be better than 'exude' but, once again, that depends on the context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #9

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    'Kindly' has an authoritarian ring in BrE. I am sure you did not intend it that way, but it may deter people from responding. We prefer 'please'.

    With enthusiasm, the positive energy we exude would make those around us also enthusiastic.

    Whether 'will' is possible depends on the context. As it stands, with 'would', 'exuded' seems to be better than 'exude' but, once again, that depends on the context.
    I am extremely sorry. I did not know that.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: Correct usage of 'would'

    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhiteY2K View Post
    I am extremely sorry. I did not know that.
    It's not a problem. I did say that I was sure you did not intend to use it an authoritarian way.

    In some varieties of English, 'kindly' does mean the same as 'please'. However, it does have the authoritarian ring in BrE, and we need to point this out so that people do not give a wrong impression. I don't know if the same is true in AmE. Let's hope an American can tell us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Correct Usage
    By tun tun in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2008, 01:42
  2. What is the correct usage? US or the US?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Feb-2008, 05:31
  3. correct usage of ''Would''
    By wazee89 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2007, 12:42
  4. Correct usage?
    By fredusing in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2006, 12:22
  5. correct usage
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2004, 16:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •