How to pronounce Thomas' ? Do it as Thomases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

Both President Bush's reelection and the four-seat increase in the Senate's Republican majority make Justice Thomas' promotion a realistic prospect. Court-watchers no longer dismiss him as a political "third rail." In fact, it is acknowledged that promoting him could prove a sagacious move for several key reasons.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Context:

Both President Bush's reelection and the four-seat increase in the Senate's Republican majority make Justice Thomas' promotion a realistic prospect. Court-watchers no longer dismiss him as a political "third rail." In fact, it is acknowledged that promoting him could prove a sagacious move for several key reasons.
You pronounce it the same as 'Thomases.' The first s is hard, the second soft, like /z/

PS: Really, you don't have to enlarge you example word so much. I have trouble reading your questions. I try to read the paragraph but I keep getting waylaid by the giant word looming there. A simple bolding would suffice. Enlarging your examples to size 5 in a size 2 text is overkill. I've reduced it to size 3 (one step up). Anyone who can't distinguish this as your example is probably not competent to answer your question.
This is interesting though. It seems that only those who don't use the Roman alphabet do it. I've noticed it from Arabic speakers as well. Maybe if you aren't used to Roman print, it is difficult to distinguish a slightly larger font.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You pronounce it the same as 'Thomases.' The first s is hard, the second soft, like /z/

PS: Really, you don't have to enlarge you example word so much. I have trouble reading your questions. I try to read the paragraph but I keep getting waylaid by the giant word looming there. A simple bolding would suffice. Enlarging your examples to size 5 in a size 2 text is overkill. I've reduced it to size 3 (one step up). Anyone who can't distinguish this as your example is probably not competent to answer your question.
This is interesting though. It seems that only those who don't use the Roman alphabet do it. I've noticed it from Arabic speakers as well. Maybe if you aren't used to Roman print, it is difficult to distinguish a slightly larger font.

Thank you.
Thanks for reminding me of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.