Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In GMAT, I saw one sentence:
Hemingway's wives_____Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh_____were all strong and interesting women.

Then I changed the sentence little:
Hemingway's wives_____Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh_____all were strong and interesting women.

I think the changed sentence is right and "all " is the appositive of "Hemingway's wives". However I don't know whether my thought is right.
Please help me! Thanks a lot!:-D:-D:-D

Last edited:

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the changed sentence is right and "all " is the appositive of "Hemingway's wives". However I don't know whether my thought is right.
Please help me! Thanks a lot!:-D:-D:-D

Now I think that in the changed sentence the word "all" can also be an adverb and modifies the predict "were". OK! Now I feel very puzzled.

Last edited:

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the sentence right but not good?

Please see the following sentence:
Hemingway's wives————Hadley Richardson, Pauline Pfeiffer, Martha Gelhom, and Mary Welsh————all were strong and interesting women.

I think the sentence is right but not good because the word "all " may be an appositive of "Hemingway's wives" and the same time the word "all" can also be an adverb to modify the predict "were".

However I am not sure that my idea is right, so I feel very puzzled. Please help me! Thanks a lot!:-D:-D:-D :up::up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.