Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Philippines
I'm really confused. Today, I read this sample sentence from an English book. --> I am late, aren't I!

What is the explanation to this? Is this correct? I know that I is paired with the be verb AM. But why is the given sentence like that?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Am I not' is correct, but very formal. The interrogative negative form has long been contracted in speech to /ɑ:nt/, just as the equivalent form for 'can' is produced as /kɑ:nt/, and that for 'shall' as /ʃɑ:nt/. By analogy with 'aren't you', /ɑ:nt/ has come to be written as 'aren't'.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, its correct. It's an exception. You can't say "I are," but you can ask "aren't I?"

You could say "am I not?" but that sounds formal.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm really confused.

[/QUOTE]

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Me, too.

(2) This is one of those exceptions that learners have to learn. (I guess that there are

exceptions in your language, too. Am I right?)

(3) So we can say:

I am your best friend, am I not? (This answer is very formal and takes three words.)

I am your best friend, ain't I? (In 2012, the word "ain't" is considered by many people

to be a word used only by uneducated people -- or people who want to be humorous.)

I respectfully suggest that you NOT use it. If you do, some (many?) people will lose

respect for you.

I am your best friend, aren't I? (This is the tag question that native speakers have

decided to use.)

P.S. You can always say: I'm your best friend. Right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
BE is the most irregular verb in English - no other verb has so many forms: be, been, being, am, is, are, was, were. But then its equivalents are pretty irregular in many other Indo-European languages. That's just one of those things that we have to live with.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The other posters are right, munchkin2618. Without wishing to confuse you, there are two dialects of English; Irish and Scottish, in which the contraction "amn't I" is very common.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The other posters are right, munchkin2618. Without wishing to confuse you, there are two dialects of English, Irish and Scottish, in which the contraction "amn't I" is very common.
Indeed. I forgot to mention that. We English speakers of English tend to forget the other varieties spoken in the UK (and the Republic).:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.