• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

is/are agreement

A co-worker and I are in disagreement about the use of "is" vs. "are" in a report:

Below is an evaluation of the coverage test results and a summary of the results defining the areas of adequate and inadequate coverage quality.

OR
    Below are an evaluation of the coverage test results and a summary of the results defining the areas of adequate and inadequate coverage quality.

I believe the correct sentence uses "are", because it refers to plural items "evaluation of the coveraget test results" and "summary of the results...". Naturally, I am looking for an authoritative answer because neither of us is willing to accept the other's answer!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: is/are agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan56 View Post
    Below are an evaluation of the coverage test results and a summary of the results defining the areas of adequate and inadequate coverage quality.

I believe the correct sentence uses "are", because it refers to plural items "evaluation of the coveraget test results" and "summary of the results...". Naturally, I am looking for an authoritative answer because neither of us is willing to accept the other's answer!
    [not an authority]

In my opinion, "are" is correct, as you have indicated. But, it does read a bit odd at first, at least to me, and I might reword it as "Please find below an evaluation of the coverage test results and a summary of the results defining the areas of adequate and inadequate coverage quality."