[General] Is name "Adreso" suitable for a website domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy56

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Is name "Adreso" suitable for a website domain? Would spelling be a problem or not? Would you be confused by single "d" and "s" letters instead of double letters (as in "address")? Thanks for help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
.[/QUOTE]Welcome to the forum, andy. :hi:

If you are not concerned about the way people pronounce it, you can call your website what you want, and spell the name how you want. I would not think of 'address' if I sae a site called 'Adreso'.

andy56

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you very much for reply.

If not "address", then what comes to your mind first when you read or hear "adreso"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Honestly? Nothing.

If I visit a website for some reason, I may be interested enough in a strange-sounding name to try to try to work out why it has been used, but generally I accept things for what they are.

My own website is 'gramorak'. I suppose I hope that visitors will realise that I had in mind 'grammar-anorak' when I thought of it, but I suspect many won't. Many will not even know this particular sense of 'anorak': Anorak (slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

At first sight, I would look it up in a Spanish dictionary because I have no idea what that means (I still don't, I haven't found it). You can give us a brief description of your website and tell us on what audience it is targeted. If you want it to be worldwide, not only for Spanish(?) audience, I recommend you to use an English name.

5jj, thank you for unfolding the riddle behind "grammorak". Also, thank you for teaching me a new word. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you mean adreso.com? If so, I can't see a problem with that.

andy56

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you very much for your responses. Adreso is not a spanish word. It means address in esperanto.

Status
Not open for further replies.