Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Qatar

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 2
    #1

    Usage of be and become

    Hi,

    Please guide me on the usage of be and become.

    For eg: Which is correct: will be functional or will become functional?

    Thanks & regards,

    George

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,593
    #2

    Re: Usage of be and become

    Quote Originally Posted by georgedesert View Post
    Hi,

    Please guide me on the usage of be and become.

    For eg: Which is correct: will be functional or will become functional?

    Thanks & regards,

    George
    Welcome to the forums, georgedesert. Both of your examples are possible, it depends on the context in which you want to use them.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Usage of be and become

    Welcome to the forum, george.

    Both the snippets you gave are possible, but they mean different things. You will have to provide rather more context if you want us to give helpful responses.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: Usage of be and become

    This is becoming silly. I will be faster than you on the next response, bhai.

  5. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Qatar

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 2
    #5

    Re: Usage of be and become

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Welcome to the forum, george.

    Both the snippets you gave are possible, but they mean different things. You will have to provide rather more context if you want us to give helpful responses.
    The context is regarding providing facility for a new office.

    And I want to inform them - we will provide the same when the new office "will become functional" or "will be functional".

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Usage of be and become

    You will provide the facility when the new office is or has become functional. In time clauses, we use a present (simple, continuous or progressive) tense form.

    I am not sure that I would speak of an office being/becoming functional. I'd probably say, 'ready for use'. Others may have different ideas.

  7. shannico's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 366
    #7

    Re: Usage of be and become

    Quote Originally Posted by georgedesert View Post
    The context is regarding providing facility for a new office.

    And I want to inform them - we will provide the same when the new office "will become functional" or "will be functional".
    How about:

    when the new office starts operating.


    Hope this helps

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Regarding the usage of 's'
    By Joe333 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2010, 23:12
  2. [General] had to - Usage
    By mcadhu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2009, 09:26
  3. itself usage
    By Teja123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Dec-2007, 13:09
  4. usage
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2007, 02:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •