Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Japan
I sent my draft essay to my teacher, and the edited version was then sent back to me with the following words:
"Here is your essay with a bit of (mainly cosmetic) editing. There are a couple of comments which need responding to, but I would go with this version once you have done that."

What does he mean by the underlined sentence?

Does he mean he will not give me any further comments if I have revised my essay according to his comments?
or
He will give me further comments once I have done some revision on this draft?

Thansk a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I sent my draft essay to my teacher, and the edited version was then sent back to me with the following words:
"Here is your essay with a bit of (mainly cosmetic) editing. There are a couple of comments which need responding to, but I would go with this version once you have done that."

You can regard that as you final version. But first you must make he changes you teacher has suggested and address those (few) points you have partially covered.
As far as I can read, it's not bad at all!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J&K Tutoring

Your teacher has made minimal (cosmetic) changes to preserve your writing style and your words. Probably some things you wrote are not quite clear, so he needs you to respond to some questions before he can recommend you go with a final version. He thinks he understands what you mean, but he's not certain. Your revisions will help him to know how best to advise you.

sbby

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Japan
So I will first respond to his comments by revising this draft. But what does "go with this version" mean? Does he mean that once I have made some changes according to what he suggested, I can submit the final version?
Thanks!

Your teacher has made minimal (cosmetic) changes to preserve your writing style and your words. Probably some things you wrote are not quite clear, so he needs you to respond to some questions before he can recommend you go with a final version. He thinks he understands what you mean, but he's not certain. Your revisions will help him to know how best to advise you.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Yes, indeed.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher, nor a native.
go with = choose

sbby

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Japan
Sorry I'm a little confused...

"I will go with this version" means "I will move forward to the final version"??? Can anyone paraphrase it for me???

Does his reply indicate whether there will be any further comments from him after I have done revision on this draft? Thanks~

No, it means "proceed" or "move forward."

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
go with
1. To date (someone) regularly.
2. To select or choose: decided to go with the pink wallpaper.

go for - definition of go for by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (it also includes go+with if you scroll down)

Your teacher has made some minor editing amendments and probably wants you to expand on a few unclear points.
Once you have that work done, I am assuming you can submit your final version then. I doubt that he/she is going to go through it again unless we are talking about a final year project/dissertation/thesis etc...

His/Her words are fairly clear to me:
1- Minor editing;
2- your essay needs further expansion on a couple of things (most of your work is fine!!!)
3- Make those changes and your essay is ready for submission (that BUT is saying, ok I've made a couple of suggestions, but your version is fine and THIS reinforces my interpretation of things).

Hope it's clearer

Last edited:

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are a couple of comments which need responding to, but if I were you, I would continue on with this version after you have made my suggested changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.