Expression: there are people whom I feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I want to talk about my colleagues in the office, and I want to start with this kind of sentence "Talking about my office, there are people whom I feel comfortable with, while there are some whom I don't. " And I have following questions:

1) Grammatically speaking, is this sentence correct?

2) For "..I feel comfortable with", is it also correct to omit "to be"? I mean "...I feel comfortable to be with" in this sentence.

3) Are there any alternatives to what I want to express? Cause I think it sounds somewhat clumsy and unnatural.

Hope someone can answer my questions one by one. Thanks:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I want to talk about my colleagues in the office, and I want to start with this kind of sentence "Talking about my office, there are people with whom I feel comfortable [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE], while there are some with whom I don't. "

1) Grammatically speaking, is this sentence correct? It is now, though it's rather formal

2) For "..I feel comfortable with", is it also correct to omit "to be"? I mean "...I feel comfortable to be with" in this sentence. 'to be' would be incorrect; 'being' would be possible.

3) Are there any alternatives to what I want to express? [STRIKE]C[/STRIKE] Because I think it sounds somewhat clumsy and unnatural.
In my opinion, the most natural would be:

In my office there are some people I feel comfortable with and some/others I don't.

Last edited:

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Indeed, I have two new questions regarding the last reply:

1) Why "there are people whom I feel comfortable with" is incorrect? I mean the position of "with" here.

2) Why "there are people whom I feel comfortable to be with" is incorrect? Because we always say "I feel comfortable to be with you."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Indeed, I have two new questions regarding the last reply:

1) Why is "there are people whom I feel comfortable with" i[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] incorrect? I mean the position of "with" here.
People who use the formal 'whom' normally place the preposition before it. If you were to use 'who', 'that' or no relative, the preposition would be fine at the end.

2) Why is "there are people whom I feel comfortable to be with" is incorrect? Because we always say "I feel comfortable to be with you."
You may. I would use 'being', or nothing there.
COCA gives 118 examples of 'comfortable being' and only 18 of 'comfortable to be'. Most of the 'to be' examples have a different foocus - 'He is comfortable to be with/around', not 'I am comfortable to be with him'.

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot.
I get what you meant.

Status