• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Moldova
      • Current Location:
      • Moldova

form master

I am looking for a US equivalent of the term "form master / form tutor" in a school system where each form master has responsibility for the class in his/her charge. In addition to adopting an administrative function, the form master fulfills a supportive role for the students by offering direction and advice for those in his/her care. A first contact for parents-teachers meetings. Maybe class counselor?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: form master

When our American friends wake up later I'm guessing they're going to say homeroom teacher.

I stand to be corrected.

In the UK, the expression is form teacher, as there are more mistresses than masters.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Moldova
      • Current Location:
      • Moldova

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    When our American friends wake up later I'm guessing they're going to say homeroom teacher.

I stand to be corrected.

In the UK, the expression is form teacher, as there are more mistresses than masters.

Rover
    Thank you very much, Rover, for your reply! I live in a former Soviet republic called Moldova. The system of school organization here is still based on Soviet standards. In our schools, we still have class teachers. They teach one of the subjects to a group of students and at the same time monitor their progress in school and keep in touch with their parents. They are like counselors and mentors. I heard about homeroom teachers, but it looks like they have slightly different responsibilities....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post

Rover
    However, in less PC-conscious times (and in some schools), the expression 'form master' was in use. In my school (in the '60s) it was. The usage changed when I was there (because there actually was a form teacher who was a woman - so there was no recognition that either sex might do the job, it was simply a fact [that made the language adapt]).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It depends on the age of the student. When in the first few grades, all the student has is one main teacher for most subjects.

By middle school and high school, the "homeroom teacher" is responsible mostly for marking attendance and some other administrative functions. Students have access to a special employee called a "guidance counselor" for advice on life and general guidance in choosing a vocation or college.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Moldova
      • Current Location:
      • Moldova

Dave,
    Is homeroom teacher responsible for marking attendance of all the students in a middle/high school or only of one particular group of students (e.g., 10th-graders)? About the guidance counselor... Is this person a psychologist or a school employs both of them?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by terranovamd View Post
    Dave,
    Is homeroom teacher responsible for marking attendance of all the students in a middle/high school or only of one particular group of students (e.g., 10th-graders)? About the guidance counselor... Is this person a psychologist or a school employs both of them?
    Neither. It's for the group of students who are in that person's classroom at that time. In some schools, it's whoever your "first period" teacher is. In other schools, it's any teacher, but you will always be in that teacher's room for the attendance check. My younger daughter's homeroom teacher is not one of her regular teachers at all. She did have her last year. She starts and ends the day in that room.

The guidance counselor is not a psychologist. If sure if you google "school guidance counselor" you'll find out more.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.