Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What is the name of this action? (please see the attached picture) We usually do it when we catch a cold.
What is the name of this device?

Attachments

• 627.jpg
    627.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 30

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
The action is inhale. or breath in.

What device? The towel or the bowl?
I can't really see any device to be honest.

Some people use nebulisers, which are devices that pretty much have the same function as that of inhaling vapours by heating up water and diluting some medical or natural products in it.
I hope this helps

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks. I think this is a better picture and that device is here.
If the action is ''inhale'' or ''breathe in'', can you please give me some example sentences?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
If the action is ''inhale'' or ''breathe in'', can you please give me some example sentences?

That's definitely a nebuliser. I would use to do inhalations as well.

Here's some examples:

You'd better inhale the steam while it's hot or it won't work. (steam inhalations)

You can do steam inhalations by heating up water and using some essential oils (steam inhalations)

Michael is doing inhalations on his nabuliser at the moment so he can't talk (nebuliser inhalations)

Inhaling through the mask is more effective!

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That is a "vaporizer."

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
That is a "vaporizer."

I think there's a huge difference between a nebuliser and a vaporiser. To me it looks like a vaporiser.
Please see below.

Nebulizer
A nebulizer is a small electronic air compressor that takes liquid medication and turns it into a mist which is then sent up a long tube into a face mask. The receiver of the medication inhales the fog-like substance into his lungs.The breathing session, or the time it takes to inhale all of the liquid-to-mist medication, can take upwards of 10 minutes to complete.

Uses of a Nebulizer
The main use of nebulizers is to deliver inhalant medication for respiratory diseases to those too young or too weak to use an inhaler. Small children tend to have a difficult time breathing in deeply when using inhalers, or they breathe at the wrong time and do not get enough medication in their lungs. If you have full lungs and are unable to breathe deeply, a nebulizer helps to deliver the medication in smaller particles than those of an inhaler.
Some other uses for nebulizers are for turning aromatherapy essential oils into a fine mist in order to slowly force the scent into the air, causing the scent to fall down slowly, thus increasing the time in which you can smell the relaxing scent of the oil.

Difference Between Nebulizer & Humidifier | eHow.com

versus

What is a vaporizer?

A vaporizer is a device that heats up dried herbs to a temperature at which they release their active components into an aromatic vapor. In this process the herb is not scorched, burned or combusted, and thus no smoke is generated. Although vapor may appear to resemble smoke, it doesn't contain any of the toxic particles (tar, benzene, toluene, naftalene etc.) which make smoking such a health hazard.

So what exactly does this vapor contain?

Aromatherapy and phyto-inhalation

Plants and trees contain numerous volatile oils, most of which we perceive as pleasing aromas. When we walk through a forest and notice the smell of pine, we are smelling the etheric oils given off by these trees. Or when we walk past a field of lavender, it is the etheric oils in the flowers that enter our nostrils. Many of these oils are not simply pleasing to our senses, but have a measurable effect on our health and well-being as well. Lavender oil, for example, calms the nerves, improves sleep, and was used in Greece, Rome and Persia to disinfect sick rooms.

Throughout history and all around the world the essential oils of eucalyptus, rosemary, chamomile, jasmine, cannabis, lemon balm, rose, sage and thyme have been used in perfumes and incense mixtures for their beneficial effects on the body and mind.

A vaporizer is a device which is used to free the active components of medicinal or recreational herbs so they can be inhaled for immediate effects. Vaporizing is a cleaner, healthier and more efficient alternative to smoking and incensing.

source: Medical applications | Vaporizer info

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Believe me, a device for using cannabis is not the normal definition of a "vaporizer."

Humidifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To most people, a "vaporizer" is a device that makes steam (water vapor). It is used for humidifying an area, which helps in colder climates with increasing the warmth of a home. This also helps reduce nasal drying.

You can also add medical inhalants to a vaporizer to reduce symptoms of a cold.

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
There's a huge difference between
-a humidifier,
-a nebuliser
and a vapouriser.

The one in the picture is a nebuliser. Like a good Italian, I use it all the time for coughs, colds and bronchitis.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A nebulizer is a small electronic air compressor that takes liquid medication and turns it into a mist which is then sent up a long tube into a face mask. The receiver of the medication inhales the fog-like substance into his lungs.The breathing session, or the time it takes to inhale all of the liquid-to-mist medication, can take upwards of 10 minutes to complete.

I agree with this definition. A "nebulizer" is for inhaling medicine. My nephew used to use one for asthma medicine. It had a mask attached.

If you are making steam that in general goes into the room, that is a "vaporizer." You might stick your head near it and inhale. You might add some medicine and make an aroma of menthol or camphor. But that's not a nebulizer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I had a cold and I simply wanted to inhale steam, I would not consider that I was inhaling medicine. I would just fill a bowl with very hot water, put a towel over my head and then lean right over the bowl. I might add eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil but I still wouldn't call that medicine.

If I bought a machine which heated water and created steam for that purpose I would probably expect it to be called a vaporiser, a humidifier or possibly just a steamer. The latter could be confused with the kitchen version in which one steams vegetables.

I have an asthmatic friend who uses a nebuliser but it doesn't work in the same way nor would I expect to have one if I didn't have a recognised medical condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.