Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
If any one could tell me the best news paper, where I could learn standard English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In England, the standard of English in these newspapers is generally reasonably good: the Guardian, the Independent, the Daily Telegraph and the Times

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
From here in Canada, I see the Guardian as the best newspaper in many ways. Along with the Economist.

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Am I right is saying that the percentage of typos in online versions of these newspapers is higher than in their printed counterparts?

Thanks.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

To the best of my knowledge, whether they're online or printed, all newspapers have a team of editors that review the articles before they're published. Noticeable mistakes may slip in once in a blue moon, but the spelling and grammar are usually perfect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Noticeable mistakes may slip in once in a blue moon, but the spelling and grammar are usually perfect.
'The Grauniad', as it is affectionately known to some of its readers, contains more typos per article than one of my posts!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'The Grauniad', as it is affectionately known to some of its readers, contains more typos per article than one of my posts!
That's part of its charm. The standards of its journalism are, however, impeccable. (IMHO).

Last edited by a moderator:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If any one could tell me the best news paper, where I could learn standard English.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I love newspapers. So may I join the discussion?

(2) If you want to learn American English, please do click on the websites of

American newspapers. Here are two that you may like:

The New York Times. (You may read a few articles for free.)

The Los Angeles Times. (It's completely free)

(3) I notice that you live in a country where the government does NOT block the

Internet. So I have great news for you:

Go to the Drudge Report. It has a long list of links to many newspapers in the

world. You can spend hours and hours clicking on different papers. But I suggest

that you concentrate on American newspapers so that you can perfect your

knowledge of American English.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
USA Today is written to a lower reading level. If you are learning English, it might be a good choice because you probably won't have to run to a dictionary every paragraph. When I was a regular read of The Wall Street Journal, even the movie reviews sometimes contained words that I didn't know.

mikelynn

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe that there are great tips for you in the previous posts, but you should realize that the newspaper language is not what is normally used in conversation - different vocabulary, special idioms etc., so it would definitely help you to improve your vocabulary, but could be sometimes pretty useless in everyday conversation.
M

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
I believe that there are great tips for you in the previous posts, but you should realize that the newspaper language is not what is normally used in conversation - different vocabulary, special idioms etc., so it would definitely help you to improve your vocabulary, but could be sometimes pretty useless in everyday conversation.
M

Right. So what would you suggest I read/watch/listen to, to improve my everyday English conversation? Some TV shows, dramas, movies or novels, maybe? I read some pieces from the Guardian as well as USA today, and I just loved them.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
I read some pieces from the Guardian as well as from USA today..

It felt like I had made a mistake in my second last post. The correct structure, I guess, is "From X as well as from Y (?)"

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right. So what would you suggest I read/watch/listen to, to improve my everyday English conversation? .

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I suggest that you click on the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) and the VOA (Voice of America) websites.

I think that both of those famous (and usually reliable) news websites include video and sound.

They might just turn out to be your cup of tea. ( That's an old expression that = something that you like.)

Oh, and don't forget: Both the BBC and the VOA have short-wave radio programs, too.

You could listen to the news in British and American accents!

Oh, and one more thing: some famous people have claimed (I do not know whether

it is true) that they learned English simply by watching English-language motion

pictures every day for hours and hours.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would say that I notice more errors in online newspapers than print papers. They certainly have different deadlines and different editors, though lots of material is shared among departments. I've seen about 3 or 4 errors in the BBC online news over the last year or so, and about as many in the Toronto Star online. I haven't noticed any in the Guardian though.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've seen about 3 or 4 errors in the BBC online news over the last year or so, and about as many in the Toronto Star online. I haven't noticed any in the Guardian though.
I'ts dissapointing if we can no lounger relay on The Grauniad for our daily does of tyspo.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would say that I notice more errors in online newspapers than print papers.

The blog sections of newspapers are the areas where errors are most common- the main parts have errors, but nothing like as many.

Status
Not open for further replies.