English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Dear Sir or Madam
I am an Algerian middle-school teacher of English and it's just my third year of doing so, two years as a substitute teacher and this year as a trainee one. I teach the four levels (the first, the second, the third and the fourth) and I have got a problem with teaching the pupils of the fourth year the write it up step whether with cues or without. The pupils are sorely weak: they don't remember most of the vocabulary taught during the previous three yrears or even the vocabulary taught during this year they cannot costruct simple sentences, they forget the ''s'' of present simple and many other weakenesses concerning punctuation, past participles meanings of the most used verbs....
In order to inhance the pupil's writing capacity I want to try some steps which are:
1- To allow the use of Arabic - English dictionnary so that pupils overcome the want they have with vocabulary especially if the cues are not given
2-To use the cues in constructing simple sentences then to add modifiers if they are needeed.
3- To stress the subject verb agreement,
4- To link sentences according to the ideas (reason or consequence or addition or enumeration...) .
5- To read aloud the whole paragraph many times as away of revising it.
Till now I haven’t had a try because I’m not sure about the effectiveness of these steps.
So please would you help me? I really want my pupils to write good English.
Thank you very much

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, jolanar. :hi:

Just a few personal thoughts:
... they don't remember most of the vocabulary taught during the previous three y[STRIKE]r[/STRIKE]ears or even the vocabulary taught during this year; they cannot construct simple sentences, they forget the ''s'' of present simple and many other weak[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]nesses concerning punctuation, past participles meanings of the most used verbs....
They sound like normal pupils to me. That's not intended as a flippant remark. Many pupils see learning a language at school as simply a school subject that they have to endure. Gifted teachers (I was never one) can motivate them to learn, but the rest of us just have to do our best.
Don't be surprised at problems with the third person 's ending or past participles. We who know about the real problems of English tend to assume that learners should at least be able to master these basics. Some of them can't, and some learners who become moderately proficient in English still slip up on 'basic' things,

In order to [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]enhance the pupil's' writing capacity I want to try some steps which are:
1- To allow the use of Arabic - English diction[STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]ary so that pupils overcome the want they have with vocabulary especially if the cues are not given .
There is always a danger that they can rely on a dictionary so much that they make no real effort to learn vocabulary. There is also the point that, without some training in using a dictionary, pupils can sometimes make more of a mess of things with a dictionary than without. However, if you are aware of the potential risks, I, personally, see benefit in giving them some assistance in Arabic.

2-To use the cues in constructing simple sentences then to add modifiers if they are neede[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]d.
I am not sure quite what you mean by this.

Don't worry too much about this. If they are able to string together a sentence that is comprehensible, subject-verb agreement mistakes are not the greatest tragedy, in my opinion. If they can't do that, then I think subject-verb-object word order, for example, is more important than a missing inflection.

4- To link sentences according to the ideas (reason or consequence or addition or enumeration...) .
I would sooner have several short sentences, reasonably well formed, than one or two more complex sentences badly formed. Once they can produce simple sentences, then you can guide them towards linking ideas.

That seems to me to be one sure way of boring them. However, if this is the way they learn in other subjects, they may be used to it.

Last edited:

jolanar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hello :up:
I'm so pleased to receive an answer from a native speaker. Thank you very much
I really benefited.
Concerning the second step I meant the use of the cues in constructing simple sentences after that I encourage the pupils to add modifiers to the subject or the verb or the object.
Allow me to be greedy and ask you about my English and the mistakes I made

justaguy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Dear Sir or Madam
I am an Algerian middle-school teacher of English and it's just my third year of doing so, two years as a substitute teacher and this year as a trainee one. I teach the four levels (the first, the second, the third and the fourth) and I have got a problem with teaching the pupils of the fourth year the write it up step whether with cues or without. The pupils are sorely weak: they don't remember most of the vocabulary taught during the previous three yrears or even the vocabulary taught during this year they cannot costruct simple sentences, they forget the ''s'' of present simple and many other weakenesses concerning punctuation, past participles meanings of the most used verbs....
In order to inhance the pupil's writing capacity I want to try some steps which are:
1- To allow the use of Arabic - English dictionnary so that pupils overcome the want they have with vocabulary especially if the cues are not given
2-To use the cues in constructing simple sentences then to add modifiers if they are needeed.
Till now I haven’t had a try because I’m not sure about the effectiveness of these steps.
So please would you help me? I really want my pupils to write good English.
Thank you very much

I am an Algerian middle-school teacher of English and it's just my third year of doing so; two years as a substitute teacher and this year as a trainee[STRIKE] one[/STRIKE]. I teach the first four levels[STRIKE] (the first, the second, the third and the fourth)[/STRIKE] and I have got a problem with teaching the pupils of the fourth year the 'write it up' step, whether with cues or without. The pupils are sorely weak; they don't remember most of the vocabulary taught during the previous three y[STRIKE]r[/STRIKE]ears or even the vocabulary taught during this year; they cannot costruct simple sentences, they forget the 's' of present-simple and they have many other weakenesses concerning punctuation, past participles, meanings of the most used verbs, etc.
In order to enhance the pupils' writing capacity, I want to try some steps which are:
1- To allow the use of the Arabic-English dictionary, so that the pupils overcome the habits [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] they have adopted with vocabulary, especially if the cues are not given.
2- To use the cues in constructing simple sentences, then to add modifiers [STRIKE]if they are[/STRIKE] where needed.
3- To stress the subject-verb agreement,
4- To link sentences according to the ideas (reason, consequence, addition or enumeration, etc.).
Till now I haven’t [STRIKE]had a try[/STRIKE] attempted the above because I’m not sure about the effectiveness of these steps.
So please would you help me? I would really like[STRIKE] really want[/STRIKE] my pupils to write good English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do anbybody know about the meaning of longetst word in english.THe longest word as follows.It is going to be introduced.Pl clarify me.

zurapassionateorevertingjinglekejunglejirkurthmaniacjilsetilusehaian

Good grief. Trolls are making less and less sense every day! Goodbye codepetersimon (at least, I hope it's goodbye!)

Status
Not open for further replies.