Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi!
Could someone please explain the meaning of that phrase?

...and do you happen to know what a "supply-side approach" is?

Thanks

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

As far as I know, the "supply-side approach" is a school of economic thought devoted to the idea of stimulating economic growth by reducing regulations and taxes on businesses and the money they make.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
(Not a Teacher)

As far as I know, the "supply-side approach" is a school of economic thought devoted to the idea of stimulating economic growth by reducing regulations and taxes on businesses and the money they make.
Thus explaining "grease and greed".;-)

blueberry777

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
(Not a Teacher)

Thanks but I'm afraid it does not match the context of the sentence. I should have added the whole thing in the first place. The whole thing reads as follows:

"We're taking a supply-side approach," says Pieth. "If we can manage to shut off the faucet of willing bribe payers, then the ability of despots and corrupt officials in, say, Africa, to accept payments and pay off cronies is going to go down as well."

Hope that helps

Last edited:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

That's still not quite enough for me to tell you exactly what Pieth is planning on doing, but it likely involves something that provides an alternative to people and businesses having to pay off government officials. I need a backstory. What is this all about? Who or what exactly is he trying to take down?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Supply-side economics is a school of macroeconomic thought that argues that economic growth can be most effectively created by lowering barriers for people to produce (supply) goods and services, such as lowering income tax and capital gains tax rates, and by allowing greater flexibility by reducing regulation. According to supply-side economics, consumers will then benefit from a greater supply of goods and services at lower prices. Typical policy recommendations of supply-side economists are lower marginal tax rates and less regulation.

Supply-side economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this case, they aren't really talking about supply-side economics at all. They are talking about reducing the amount of "bribe activity" in an economy/government by reducing the "supply" of bribe makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.