Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
[FONT=&quot]Dear all what is the meaning of the highlighted part in:

"So folks that`s all from Switzerland as the kayakers take away their prices and set off on what`s left of the season"said by an announcer in a kayaking championship.

I know that "sett of" alone means "to leave a place to somewhere else" but I can't get "set off on" in particular, and also the whole expression "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]set off on what`s left of the season[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"

Thanks a lot.
[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[FONT=&quot]"So folks that`s all from Switzerland as the kayakers take away their pri[/FONT][STRIKE]c[/STRIKE]z[FONT=&quot]es and set off on what`s left of the season",spacesaid by an announcer in a kayaking championship.

I know that "set[/FONT][STRIKE]t[/STRIKE][FONT=&quot] off" alone means "to leave a place [/FONT][STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for[FONT=&quot] somewhere else" but I can't get "set off on" in particular, and also the whole expression "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]set off on what`s left of the season[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
[/FONT]
You 'set off' 'on a journey'. They are leaving for the next event in the kayaking season. There is little of the season left, i.e. most of the events have already been held.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You 'set off' 'on a journey'. They are leaving for the next event in the kayaking season. There is little of the season left, i.e. most of the events have already been held.

One more question, please. Can we translate it as "event(s)" instead of specifying it to only one event since we don't know haow many events left? Or there is something I miss?

Thanks a lot.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One more question, please. Can we translate it as "event(s)" instead of specifying it to only one event since we don't know haow many events left? Or there is something I miss?

Thanks a lot.

You can, but they are going to take part in the remaining events one at a time. So at the moment, they are only setting off for "the next event". After they have taken part in that event, they will again set off for "the next event" until they have finally taken part in all of them.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You can, but they are going to take part in the remaining events one at a time. So at the moment, they are only setting off for "the next event". After they have taken part in that event, they will again set off for "the next event" until they have finally taken part in all of them.

Ok I got it. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.