She was a bit cool and was a member of....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1) I can do many things but (omit I) have not been praised by my parents. This is fine.

2) I seldom see Mary but (omit I) always see her husband. I find this more natural with the "I".

Ok, you think the first one is fine without "I" while the opposite for the second sentence. It seems that to determine whether to add an "I" is so arbitrary. Are there actually any rules behind?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1) I can do many things but (omit I) have not been praised by my parents. This is fine.

2) I seldom see Mary but (omit I) always see her husband. I find this more natural with the "I".

Ok, you think the first one is fine without "I" while the opposite for the second sentence. It seems that to determine whether to add an "I" is so arbitrary. Are there actually any rules behind?
No, there is no rule.

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Then what make(s) them natural/unnatural if there are no rules.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then what make(s) them natural/unnatural if there are no rules.

Experience! Practice! Being a native speaker. Sorry if that doesn't help you much, but there are lots of cases where there is no discernible rule but something will just sound right or wrong to a native speaker. It's something we really can't explain. In most cases, it doesn't mean that something you say is necessarily "wrong" but it would probably mark you out as a non-native speaker. That's not a problem.

kachibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Okkkay..got it~

Status
Not open for further replies.