Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I was told that capitalized God means the unique one in some religions like Christianity, but god is one of multiple ones like in Hinduism. Is it correct?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. "God" serves as the "name" of the monotheistic deity of the Judeo-Christian tradition. Like any name, it should be capitalized.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A different message is given by the two versions:

I don't believe in God = this will be taken to mean the specific god which is known by that name in Judeo-Christianity. However, it will be understood by most people to mean that I believe in no deity at all.

I don't believe in a god/any god = I am an atheist.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[not a Jewish scholar]

note:
The word "God" ... [is] often written by many Jews as "G-d" ... as a way of avoiding writing any name of God.
- source

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some Jews will also use "HaShem" which literally means "the name" as a way of avoiding the name of God.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. "God" serves as the "name" of the monotheistic deity of the Judeo-Christian tradition. Like any name, it should be capitalized.

:up:

(And there's room for relgious chauvinism here. Some people capitalize their own god, and insult others' - by implication, intentional or unknowing - by leaving it in lower case.)

This extends to personal pronouns: 'God knows, and He loves you'. (Not everyone does this. The usage may seem rather quaint to non-believers, but still it's quite common.)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think it's chauvinism if my god's name is "God" and I capitalize it, but leave it in lower case to refer to the concept of your god as a "god."

To me, it's like calling my mother "Mom" and saying "your mom" when I mean yours. For me, when referring to my mother, "Mom" is a proper name.

If your god's name is Thor, I would say the god Thor, while mine is the monotheistic god known simply as "God." If another religion also had a god named God, even if this God was not at all like my God, then both would get the capital G. But is there one?

(I'm one of the quaint poeple who capitalizes the pronoun, too.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't capitalise any of them, but I'm an atheist so I guess I'm just using them in well-known phrases and never to refer to a god by name, no matter what it is.

Oh, for god's sake, don't do that.
I'll just say that god alone knows what he was doing that day.

I will, however, concede that I would probably capitalise Jesus on the basis that I do at least believe that someone by that name existed a very long time ago, probably spoke some wise words and their existence led on to a religion. Therefore, Jesus would be a proper noun. So I would say,

Oh, Jesus, what have you done now?!
Jesus Christ, I can't leave you alone for five minutes without you wrecking the joint, can I?!

I'm really not trying to start some kind of religious/belief conversation here. I genuinely had to sit down and think about how I would use those words and try to come up with a reason for why I say/write them how I do.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it's chauvinism if my god's name is "God" and I capitalize it, but leave it in lower case to refer to the concept of your god as a "god."

To me, it's like calling my mother "Mom" and saying "your mom" when I mean yours. For me, when referring to my mother, "Mom" is a proper name.

If your god's name is Thor, I would say the god Thor, while mine is the monotheistic god known simply as "God." If another religion also had a god named God, even if this God was not at all like my God, then both would get the capital G. But is there one?

(I'm one of the quaint poeple who capitalizes the pronoun, too.)

I agree.My god (if I had one to call mine.... or is that Mine :)) is "God", and I could say of someone else's god 'He believes in a god, but...'. What I believe is chauvinism would be if I said 'You don't believe in God. Your god is Baal [or whoever]'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.