[Essay] University discipline - no idea. Can someone please help me with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
UK
Discipline: Brazil and the United States: history, intellectual itineraries and political culture in the construction of institutions.

The proposal of this discipline is it (to?) (of) comparing the moment of historical inflection that happened in the process of independence and in the subsequent tasks in which Brazil and the United States were involved / ? wrapped.
The development of the dynamic national ones, of certain way, was supported in the stock of ideas, perceptions, justifications and in the institutional available and projected pomps, which were formulated by the relevant actors in the touch a touch by the argument of power and by a determined vision of imaginary community.
Two nations constitute resultant examples of the crisis of the colonial system of the era mercantilista, and though they were responding to states of affairs storms different, and they were presenting cultures, mentalities and differentiated trajectories, it is specimens of the same common trunk that is the western thought.
And they were wrapped, equally, by a set of decisions and choices, by his time, embarrassed, in certain way, you shear coerções aim.
Like daughters of his respective metropolises, Portugal and England, the young nations had his system of beliefs and his political culture populated by the wombs of thought prepared by the intellectual history in the grounds of his origins. But, you do not punish for this legate, but, also, for the classic established interpretations and the available formulations originating from other inspirations and from other languages.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Discipline: Brazil and the United States: history, intellectual itineraries and political culture in the construction of institutions.

The proposal of this discipline is it (to?) (of) comparing the moment of historical inflection that happened in the process of independence and in the subsequent tasks in which Brazil and the United States were involved / ? wrapped.
The development of the dynamic national ones, of certain way, was supported in the stock of ideas, perceptions, justifications and in the institutional available and projected pomps, which were formulated by the relevant actors in the touch a touch by the argument of power and by a determined vision of imaginary community.
Two nations constitute resultant examples of the crisis of the colonial system of the era mercantilista, and though they were responding to states of affairs storms different, and they were presenting cultures, mentalities and differentiated trajectories, it is specimens of the same common trunk that is the western thought.
And they were wrapped, equally, by a set of decisions and choices, by his time, embarrassed, in certain way, you shear coerções aim.
Like daughters of his respective metropolises, Portugal and England, the young nations had his system of beliefs and his political culture populated by the wombs of thought prepared by the intellectual history in the grounds of his origins. But, you do not punish for this legate, but, also, for the classic established interpretations and the available formulations originating from other inspirations and from other languages.
Is this a machine translation? Why not try to write it in proper English?
By the way, what is your question? What is the purpose of your translation?

mayaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
UK
Is this a machine translation? Why not try to write it in proper English?
By the way, what is your question? What is the purpose of your translation?

Hi, is really that bad to think it was a machine translation? Oh, my GOd. I am so sorry.

It wasn't...

Its not a proper question, its more about to show me my horrible mistakes. It looks you can even say where to start...

Thanks anyway.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh dear. I'm sure the comment above was not intended to discourage you.

Welcome to Using English.

Translation is very hard, and it's far easier to translate from anothe rlanguage into your native tongue than to take your native language and create smooth, natural sentences in another langguage.

The sentences in this passage are complex and some of the metaphoric language may not make the leap from the original to English very well.

If you need to write this in English, start by writing shorter, simpler sentences that still keep the main ideas.

This sentence, in partciular, is very hard to understand: The development of the dynamic national ones, of certain way, was supported in the stock of ideas, perceptions, justifications and in the institutional available and projected pomps, which were formulated by the relevant actors in the touch a touch by the argument of power and by a determined vision of imaginary community.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Translation is very hard, and it's far easier to translate from anothe language into your native tongue than to take your native language and create smooth, natural sentences in another language.

The sentences in this passage are complex and some of the metaphoric language may not make the leap from the original to English very well.
That's good advice from Barb, mayaya.

I tried to make a start, but had to give up. I just didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Start again, writing in the shortest sentences you can manage, and using the simplest words you can think of. It doesn't matter if it seems childish to you at first. Once we have the basic outline of the ideas, we can start to make the English better, without being influenced by the Portugese. I believe that Portugese formal writing style is far more ornate than English, and this may be contributing to your difficulties.

mayaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
UK
Thank you, I am going to do that.

mayaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
UK
Module (or Discipline?):
Brazil and the United States: history, intellectual itineraries and political culture in the construction of institutions.

The course is intended to compare the moment of a turning-point in history that happened in Brazil and in the United States in their process of independence, as well as (or and also?) their subsequent tasks.

The development of the national dynamics, in a way, was bound (supported?) by the stock of ideas, perceptions, justifications and also by an institution's apparatus available, which were formulated by the relevant actors in the struggle for power and also by a vision of imaginary community.

The two nations are examples of the crisis of the colonial system of the mercantilist era, and even though they have different climates and got differentiated cultures, mentalities and trajectories, they are the same specimens of the western thought.

As daughters of their respective metropolis (Portugal and England), the two newborn nations had their beliefs and political culture inspired by their Mother countries. But not just from them, they had influences from consecrated classical interpretations and others
formulations by different inspirations and other languages.

mayaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
UK
Is this very bad?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is this very bad?
Thank you in advance.

I suggest you read through and analyse the sentences yourself and see if they sound clear to you. I find it impossible to understand what you have written.

Take the first sentence:
The course is intended to compare the moment of a turning-point in history that happened in Brazil and in the United States in their process of independence, as well as (or and also?) their subsequent tasks.

What is 'moment of a turning point?
An event/activity happened, a moment cannot happen.
Whose process of independence?
What subsequent tasks?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Module (or Discipline?):
Brazil and the United States: history, intellectual itineraries and political culture in the construction of institutions.

The development of the national dynamics, in a way, was bound (supported?) by the stock of ideas, perceptions, justifications and also by an institution's apparatus available, which were formulated by the relevant actors in the struggle for power and also by a vision of imaginary community.

The two nations are examples of the crisis of the colonial system of the mercantilist era, and even though they have different climates and got differentiated cultures, mentalities and trajectories, they are the same specimens of the western thought.

As daughters of their respective metropolis (Portugal and England), the two newborn nations had their beliefs and political culture inspired by their Mother countries. But not just from them, they had influences from consecrated classical interpretations and others
formulations by different inspirations and other languages.
This is better than the machine version. (or the "word for word transaltion", if you prefer). It's possible to see what you're trying to say now.
But you seem to be still using a lot of words you don't really understand, eg. what's a "consecrated classical interpretation".
I'd suggest you try to write it in simple language that you understand, and that you actually believe, rather than trying to write what you think others would approve of. It would be worth doing that just as an exercise.

I'll give you an example:
"I think Brazil and the US are similar because they both started as colonies of a Mother nation." That is a simple sentence. If you wrote everything simply like that, that would be a base on which you could build.

Status
Not open for further replies.