Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. suprunp's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 599
    #1

    I wouldn't think so.

    [Tamaru:] However, when it comes to luggage, I have been asked to tell you that you should be able to keep both hands free.”
    “Keep both hands free,” Tengo repeated. “So, a suitcase wouldn’t work, would it?”
    “I wouldn’t think so.”

    (H. Murakami; 1Q84)

    As far as I'm concerned what Tamaru says can be interpreted this way:
    "I wouldn't think that a suitcase would work."

    Is it possible to say 'I would think so.' meaning 'I would think that your suggestion is right.'

    Thanks.

  2. shannico's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 366
    #2

    Re: I wouldn't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    [Tamaru:] However, when it comes to luggage, I have been asked to tell you that you should be able to keep both hands free.”
    “Keep both hands free,” Tengo repeated. “So, a suitcase wouldn’t work, would it?”
    “I wouldn’t think so.”

    (H. Murakami; 1Q84)

    As far as I'm concerned what Tamaru says can be interpreted this way:
    "I wouldn't think that a suitcase would work."

    Is it possible to say 'I would think so.' meaning 'I would think that your suggestion is right.'

    Thanks.
    I think it could get a bit confusing that way.
    Plus, with verbs like think it's always advisable to use a negative form with think in the main sentence as opposed to the verb in the relative clause.

    I wouldn't think so (that it would work)
    I would think so (that it wouldn't work)

    You're far more likely to say:

    I don't think he'll call in later
    than
    I think he won't call in later.

    He won't call in later, will he? I Don't think so (that he will)
    He won't call in later, will he? I think so (that he won't).

    Hope it's clear.
    Last edited by shannico; 01-Feb-2012 at 14:25. Reason: brakets added

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #3

    Re: I wouldn't think so.

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****




    It reminded me that this may occur in some countries:

    American tourist in country X: Don't you have any bananas?

    Merchant: Yes.

    American: Well, where are they?

    Merchant: I said, "Yes, we do not have any bananas. What's wrong with

    you? Don't you understand English?"

  3. suprunp's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 599
    #4

    Re: I wouldn't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by shannico View Post
    He won't call in later, will he? I Don't think so (that he will)
    He won't call in later, will he? I think so (that he won't).
    Does it mean that regardless of the form of my answer (either 'I don't think so', or 'I think so') you would suggest that I 'do not think that he will come'/'think that he will not come' or am I misreading this?

    Thanks.

  4. shannico's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 366
    #5

    Re: I wouldn't think so.

    p.s. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough...

    He won't call in later, will he? I don't think so (that he will)
    He won't call in later, will he ? I think so (that he won't = that was a parallel example to your II would think so - that your suggestion is right)

    If I asked
    He won't call in later, will he?
    and someone replied
    I think so - i'd be inclined to think that they will call in. The answer is to "will he (call)? ".

  5. spongie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 128
    #6

    Re: I wouldn't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by shannico View Post
    He won't call in later, will he? I don't think so (that he will)
    He won't call in later, will he? I think so (that he won't = that was a parallel example to your II would think so - that your suggestion is right)

    If I asked
    He won't call in later, will he?
    and someone replied
    I think so - i'd be inclined to think that they will call in. The answer is to "will he (call)? ".
    These are two contrary explanations to the same example. Maybe I didn't understand it correctly...

  6. shannico's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 366
    #7

    Re: I wouldn't think so.

    In my first post I replied to Suprunp's example, i.e:


    Is it possible to say 'I would think so.' meaning 'I would think that your suggestion is right.'

    Therefore I came up with another example along his lines, i.e.:


    He won't call in later, will he? I think so (that he won't = that was a parallel example to your II would think so - that your suggestion is right)


    Then I've explained why to me I think so means that he will call in later.

    If I asked
    He won't call in later, will he?
    and someone replied
    I think so - i'd be inclined to think that they will call in. The answer is to "will he (call)? ".


    I hope it's clearer now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •