• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

getting high grades.

The basic meaning of "grade" is level or ranking, and in academic performance, they are "A B C D F", each of which means a ranking from the top to the bottom. When you say "grades", it's seems to be related to "A B C D F", or does it mean your GPA or just levels of each subject? I think "grades" is for your academic performance, but it doesn't give me that nuance, but a strong image of levels.

A : I hear your daughter's getting high grades.
    B: Yes. Hiring a personal tutor paid off.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: getting high grades.

Could you ask your question more simply? I don't understand that basic point.

If someone say "May daughter is getting high grades" I would infer that she has mostly As in her various subjects on her report card. However, it could also be that she's getting scores of, say 97 or above, on her tests and papers, and the quarterly grade hasn't come out yet.

In my childrens' schools, they don't get an "A" or a "B" on an individual test or paper. They get a numeric grade. At the end of the marking period, those scores are weighted and averaged and a final number grade is calculated and the A, B, etc. is based on that number.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: getting high grades.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Could you ask your question more simply? I don't understand that basic point.

If someone say "May daughter is getting high grades" I would infer that she has mostly As in her various subjects on her report card. However, it could also be that she's getting scores of, say 97 or above, on her tests and papers, and the quarterly grade hasn't come out yet.

In my childrens' schools, they don't get an "A" or a "B" on an individual test or paper. They get a numeric grade. At the end of the marking period, those scores are weighted and averaged and a final number grade is calculated and the A, B, etc. is based on that number.
    My curiosity was regarding its word-nuance like levels "A, B, C..:" but now it's clear, it's not necessarily that, it can be just performance like numbers or results.Thanks a lot!!!