• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Therein vs. Herein

"This Agreement will take effect on being signed and remain effective until the obligations defined therein have been completely fulfilled."

"Therein" sounds right to me. But I often see people use "herein" in such a sentence.

What's your view on this?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Therein vs. Herein

My view is that whenever those words are used they were either written by lawyers trying to make it hard to understand so you would have to pay them to help you understand, or written by people who were trying to sound like lawyers but who have only a limited sense of what the words are supposed to mean.

I can't think of any reason that normal people with a true goal of communication would ever use them.

I will get down now so the next person can use my soapbox.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Re: Therein vs. Herein

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    My view is that whenever those words are used they were either written by lawyers trying to make it hard to understand so you would have to pay them to help you understand, or written by people who were trying to sound like lawyers but who have only a limited sense of what the words are supposed to mean.

I can't think of any reason that normal people with a true goal of communication would ever use them.

I will get down now so the next person can use my soapbox.
    I know one could simply write "in it," but that's not the point.