Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello again

I struggle with this aspect of my lesson planning as I findi it difficult to think what might be a problem and what I can do to fix them.

I need to be quite specific in my plans but am struggling even to think of any to be specific to start with.

How should I approach this?

I also struggle a little with feedback and correction - as in when the SS are speaking, I miss what they say that incorrect, to address later.

Any tips?

Thanks x

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It'd probably be easier if you posted a rough lesson plan. Teachers might then have a clearer idea of what might go wrong in that case, and you could extrapolate from that some more general problem types.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I struggle with this aspect of my lesson planning as I find[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] it difficult to think what might be a problem and what I can do to fix them.
What problems did you have when you planned the lesson? What did you have problems with when you were working out what you were going to explain? Did you think at any time during your planning, 'I hope they don't ask me about this'?

These are some of the things that learners might have problems with. Try to find satisfactory solutions for these.

I also struggle a little with feedback and correction - as in when the SS are speaking, I miss what they say that is incorrect, to address later.
If you miss these things, then there is not much you can do about them, I am afraid. I know it's difficult, but try to forget yourself when learners are speaking.Concentrate on them and their words. You should be able to spot at least things that are obvious not natural English.

MissGiggles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It'd probably be easier if you posted a rough lesson plan. Teachers might then have a clearer idea of what might go wrong in that case, and you could extrapolate from that some more general problem types.

b

Ok, my class is pre intermediate, mixture of men women, from differing countries.

Tomorrow I am concentrating on speaking, the topic being stages and events in their lives.

My warmer is pictures of people getting married, graduation, buying a house etc for them to dicuss first in pairs, then as a class.

They will then discuss in groups, when people get married, have children, go to uni, learn to drive etc in their own country.

I am then going to read a passage about my life
(I need to write this but as an eg I was born in 1979. I lived with my parents and grandparents. I started school at the age of 5 in 1984 .... where I met my best friend. ..... I got married on 4th July 2010 ..... ....... with a bit more padding)

They are to listen and note down the important years and milestones on a time line.

They will then make their own timeline of events in their lives and will then talk about their lives, based on what they have noted down.

I need to put in some correction/fb (as a requirement of the CELTA) and perhaps some other input (eg give them the terms, baby, toddler, child .... to use and introduce when I was ..... ). If time, they can try the conversations again, with the input.

not sure if that makes sense, but any advice is more than welcome x

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hate to be a wet blanket, but, as this is an observed/assessed TP for CELTA, it would be inappropriate for us to give specific things you can do. We can give only general advice.

MissGiggles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thats fine, I just struggle with what to write in the problems/solutions section of the LP.

The rest of my LPing has been fine, very good infact.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of the good things about my CELTA was the frequency of observation (not formal visits from assessors, but just the tutors' and other students' comments). If so, you'll soon find out where problems are likely to arise (because you had them yesterday!) ;-)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I know it's difficult, but try to forget yourself when learners are speaking.

That's a good point, and as it's a necessary skill, you do learn to file away things people say for later use. Part of you has to be detached and analytical about what is going on around you. It will come with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.