Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I am just curious are telephone books still used in the US, the UK, Australia?
If get to Manchester or New York, will I be able to find a person's phone (address), by their name?

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, there are. But all of that stuff in online now, too.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are. They are not used as often, at least in my house.

A person can choose not to be listed but otherwsise you will find them in the local phonebook.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am just curious, are telephone books still used in the . . . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, but some people might have an unlisted phone number, so it would not be in any book.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Aren't people afraid of an arbitrary person knowing where they live and what their phone number is if they are on the list?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Aren't people afraid of an arbitrary [STRIKE]man[/STRIKE] person knowing where they live and what [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] their phone number is if they are on the list?

I think that's exactly why so many people now decide not to be listed. None of my friends or family are in the phone book.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Aren't people afraid of an arbitrary man knowing where they live, what is their phone number... if they are on the list ?

Even more disturbing, if you put your phone number into Google, it will give a map right to your house.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Even more disturbing, if you put your phone number into Google, it will give a map right to your house.
Oh! I have an account on Google and they keep telling me I've got to give them my phone number. I was thinking I could do it to stop the pestering, but if that's what they're going to do with it, I'm certainly not doing that!

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Aren't people afraid of [STRIKE]an arbitrary man[/STRIKE] a stranger knowing where they live, what is their phone number... if they are on the list ?

You bet! Just ask that jerk Navin R. Johnson!

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, back in the old days, it was considered helpful to reach the people you wanted to reach.

You needed to call a classmate to ask an assignment the teacher had given. Her name is Jane Carter. You looked in the phone book. There were five Carters listed for your town. But you could tell by the address which family lived on the street that sent children to your school. So you knew which one to call, even if you didn't know Jane's name. Or you had to call the first one and say "Hi, my name is Barb and I go to Viola Elemtary. I'm trying to reach my classmate Jane. Is this the correct Carter residence?" And they'd either say "Why yes, let me get Jane for you" or "I'm sorry, we don't have a Jane here." And in the latter case, you'd call the next Carter family.

Back in the old days, we thought it was kind of nice having people be able to get in touch with you And back in the old days, if someone pulled up in front of your house and your neighbor didn't know them, they might ask what they were doing there.

The idea these days of all this "privacy" when people post pictures to Facebook that have the lattitude and longtitude that the photo was taken embedded in the picture's metadata seems pretty absurd to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, back in the old days [...]The idea these days of all this "privacy" when people post pictures to Facebook that have the lattitude and longtitude that the photo was taken embedded in the picture's metadata seems pretty absurd to me.
Take a deep breath, Barb. You are going to have to accept that you are joining the ranks of the crusty old f**ts, hitherto represented only by such crumblies as TheParser, Rover, me and a couple of others.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nooooooo! :shock:

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The idea these days of all this "privacy" when people post pictures to Facebook that have the lattitude and longtitude that the photo was taken embedded in the picture's metadata seems pretty absurd to me.

I think you're giving too much credit here. :cry: (i.e. that people know what they're doing)

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I am a modern person. I have accounts on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
But I have only one picture, this is the picture of mine, like a portrait accessible only to those who I have picked up. Also no personal data even for 'Facebook friends' because if they are really friends of mine they already had my phone number, etc.
Also I don't share my intimacy, feelings, etc. with my so called 'Facebook friends'. Only the real ones, if I think it fits the situation.
And I find those social networks very useful to exchange news. It is the key idea, to me.
But I see a lot of people doing the opposite. I don't blame them, I respect them anyway.
But the way I have described is the most convenient, to me.

Thank you all, for your participation. I have learned a lot from your posts.

Regards, Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.