[Vocabulary] public agenda, public issue, public topic, are these the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do "public agenda", "public issue", and "public topic" mean the same? If not, how are they different?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They do not mean the same. I'm not even sure what they are supposed to mean.

It's difficult to say how they are different when they are not even common collocations.

Where did you find these phrases?

Rover

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
They do not mean the same. I'm not even sure what they are supposed to mean.

It's difficult to say how they are different when they are not even common collocations.

Where did you find these phrases?

Rover
Oh! I didn't know they are confusing. :oops: Let me try to make it clearer.

My classmates and I were discussing how to say "common events or problems that are happening in the country or around the world that are concerned and discussed by people" in English.
Like, poverty, corruption in politics, preventing natural disasters, schools not having enough money to develop education but the tuition being already too high for students....etc. Is there a word to describe these?

Those three words, some(public issue, public topic) were found by a classmate on the Net, some (public agenda) provided by another classmate who said that she has heard of one English speaker spoke so. But we were all not sure using which one.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Public issue is OK.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK-ish :) BNC lists it, but at no. 287 in the 'public + <noun>' possibilities - more than 130 times less common than 'public sector' (the commonest in BNC - not in COCA though). See more here: corpus.byu.edu/bnc/x.asp?

Given the context, it would be possible to work out what 'public issue' signifies, but I think a native speaker would use more words - something like 'issue of popular/current concern'. Are you trying to do a word-for-word translation of two words in your native language, azhu?

'Agenda' comes from the Latin agenda, meaning 'things that should be done'. In its concrete form an agenda is a list of things to be discussed at a meeting. However, 'agenda' can have a figurative meaning - 'things that someone wants to do'. This explains the collocation 'public agenda': 'things that someone wants done, made public'. This is probably the usage your friend heard..

b

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
OK-ish :) BNC lists it, but at no. 287 in the 'public + <noun>' possibilities - more than 130 times less common than 'public sector' (the commonest in BNC - not in COCA though). See more here: corpus.byu.edu/bnc/x.asp?

Given the context, it would be possible to work out what 'public issue' signifies, but I think a native speaker would use more words - something like 'issue of popular/current concern'. Are you trying to do a word-for-word translation of two words in your native language, azhu?

'Agenda' comes from the Latin agenda, meaning 'things that should be done'. In its concrete form an agenda is a list of things to be discussed at a meeting. However, 'agenda' can have a figurative meaning - 'things that someone wants to do'. This explains the collocation 'public agenda': 'things that someone wants done, made public'. This is probably the usage your friend heard..

b

Thank you very much for giving me a thorough explanation! It helped a lot! > w <
You are right, we were actually directly translating our native language into English, "public" + "issue"...
And your explanation of "public agenda" is also very clear that I am more sure about what kind of meaning "public agenda" implies. Thank you!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. :)

Afterthought: sometimes - possibly to avoid using extra words - we borrow the German word Zeitgeist (literally ='time ghost' - /'zɑɪtgɑɪst/*). It doesn't mean exactly the same - 'Zeitgeist' (in English) is more to do with fashion (a 'look' that is popular). One of the Br newspapers (the Guardian, I think) used to have a supplement called 'Zeitgeist'.

b

PS *German scholars may complain that the first consonant is the afffricate [ʦ]. I have seldom heard this 'correct' pronunciation (except from people showing off their erudition :) English people don't care too much about other peoples' languages!)

Status
Not open for further replies.