Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could I use the present perfect progressive as in "I've been trying to power up the laptop earlier. But I could not do it since I don't know the code."?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could I use the present perfect progressive as in "I've been trying to power up the laptop earlier. But I could not do it since I don't know the code."?
No, you can't use it with the adverb "earlier". You have obviously stopped trying to power up the laptop, so the present progressive is not right.
You could say: "I've been trying to power up the laptop all day. But I haven't been able to do it since I don't know the code." (This means that you're still trying)
Otherwise, you must say, "I was trying to power up the laptop earlier ..."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, you can't use it with the adverb "earlier". You have obviously stopped trying to power up the laptop, so the present progressive is not right.
You could say: "I've been trying to power up the laptop all day. But I haven't been able to do it since I don't know the code." (This means that you're still trying)
Otherwise, you must say, "I was trying to power up the laptop earlier ..."

:up:

1)So I should use the past progressive with "earlier" "I was trying to power up...."?

2)Could I use the present perfect progressive with the past simple as in " I've been reading the book all morning. But I couldn't come up with an answer to your question."?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:up:

1)So I should use the past progressive with "earlier" "I was trying to power up...."?
That's what I've suggested.

2)Could I use the present perfect progressive with the past simple as in " I've been reading the book all morning. But I couldn't come up with an answer to your question."?
It would be better to say "I've been reading the book all morning. But I [STRIKE]couldn't[/STRIKE] haven't been able to come up with an answer to your question."

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say "I have been trying", this tells the reader that this took place in the past.(earlier)

You then want to say what is happening now, as a result of the past, so the additional information can be stated in the present.

I have been trying to call you all day but I can't seem to connect with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.