Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"NHS staff are being encouraged to lie about their hours to make trusts appear to be compliant with the European working time directive, according to figures seen exclusively by HSJ."

What would be the difference if I changed to the present simple?

"..................are encouraged..............."

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Being encouraged" means more that someone is encouraging them, as opposed to "the nurses are encouraged," implying that is what they simply are.

[Not a teacher]

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Being encouraged" means more that someone is encouraging them, as opposed to "the nurses are encouraged," implying that is what they simply are.

[Not a teacher]

"The 20th century isolationism was surely rather symbolic and was implemented in politics under the influence of a very peculiar situation."

If I changed to the past progressive passive, would I be emphasizing the ongoing nature of an action in the past? "...............was being implemented............"

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"The 20th century isolationism was surely rather symbolic and was implemented in politics under the influence of a very peculiar situation."

If I changed to the past progressive passive, would I be emphasizing the ongoing nature of an action in the past? "...............was being implemented............"

No, the use of the past continuous tense or past tense in the context does not make any difference.

The past continuous tense expresses action at a particular moment in the past.There is no difference in emphasis.

not a teacher

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, the use of the past continuous tense or past tense in the context does not make any difference.

The past continuous tense expresses action at a particular moment in the past.There is no difference in emphasis.

not a teacher

I'd aprreciate a word of advice from a native speaker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.