Difference between : dress , put on , wear ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

borhan_3010

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi everybody!

I have question:
Difference between : dress , put on , wear??
I look up at dictionary but all meaning is closed together (all word meaning=> wear) , I don't understand when use what word?!
Can somebody tell me what is difference between them with example?

Thanx

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"I wore a green shirt to the party" (I had on a green shirt)
"I put on a green shirt for the party/to go to the party" (I had, prior to the party, put on a green shirt)
"I dressed in a green shirt for the party" (I put on a green shirt – you could think of it as me putting something on me)

I hope I've explained it well.

[Not a teacher]

borhan_3010

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi "Calis"Thank you for answering, but still I didn't quite understand what the difference between them? :-:)-?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I take a sock from the drawer, and begin to draw the sock over my toes, over my heel and up my leg as far as it will go. This action is putting on the sock. Once that action is complete, I am wearing the sock. I continue wearing it until I remove the sock. The action of removing the sock is generally referred to as taking off the sock.

Putting on a hat is somewhat simpler. I simply take the hat and place it on my head at an angle which I find dashing. Thereafter, I am wearing the hat.

Depending on the garment, the action of putting on the garment can be fairly simple or, occasionally, quite complex. Wearing the garment requires little effort thouugh, if the garment be too tight, the wearing may cause discomfort.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I take a sock from the drawer, and begin to draw the sock over my toes, over my heel and up my leg as far as it will go. This action is putting on the sock. Once that action is complete, I am wearing the sock. I continue wearing it until I remove the sock. The action of removing the sock is generally referred to as taking off the sock.

Putting on a hat is somewhat simpler. I simply take the hat and place it on my head at an angle which I find dashing. Thereafter, I am wearing the hat.

Depending on the garment, the action of putting on the garment can be fairly simple or, occasionally, quite complex. Wearing the garment requires little effort thouugh, if the garment be too tight, the wearing may cause discomfort.

The act of dressing or getting dressed involves putting on all the clothes that I wish to be wearing once I am dressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.