Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

*the past, not conditional sentences.* would = used to

It is written that we can't use the verb 'be' when using 'would' instead of 'used to'.

For example: I used to be an administrative assistant. (That's ok)

I would be an administrative assistant. (That's not ok)

I would like to learn whether we can use 'be' in every case or not.

When I was a child my mom would be angry at me.

Is that ok? If it is ok or not, please could you give me some examples how to use?

Thanks...

Last edited:

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Please any answer?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please any answer?
Please don't be impatient. It's less than an hour since you posted your question, and many of the people who voluntarily give up their time to respond may well be in bed.

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

spongie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

It is written that we can't use the verb 'be' when using 'would' instead of 'used to'. That's true, we can't, because "would" can only refer to habitual actions in the past, so only "used to" can be used in sentences with "be" (state).

For example: I used to be an administrative assistant. (That's ok) :up:

I would be an administrative assistant. (That's not ok) You're right, that's incorrect. It should be "used to" instead of "would".

I would like to learn whether we can use 'be' in every case or not.

When I was a child my mom would be angry at me. That's incorrect because, as I said, "would" refers to habits and being angry is a state, so "used to" is a correct option.

Is that ok? If it is ok or not, please could you give me some examples how to use?

Would = habits
I would buy fresh milk every morning. (but I don't do that any more)

Used to = states and habits
I used to live in New York. (but I don't anymore)

I used to buy fresh milk every morning.

To sum up, we don't use "would" when we talk about states in the past.

Thanks...:up:

Not a teacher.

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks for all the answers... But I have a little more questions about it.

1) Can we use 'used to' and 'would' with any specific time also such as in 2000, 5 hours ago,...etc?

For example: In 1999, I always used to go to cinema, but now I like theatre.

When I was a child I always used to get up at 5 pm.

I used to be a student at that school five years ago.

2)used to smoke

I have seen that in some websites we can't use 'would smoke'. ( I couldn't understand that because it is not a stative verbs)

I would smoke every time I was under a lot of stress.

3) We usually use 'used to' to talk about important past habits. (I couldn't understand that... )

Sparky used to brush his teeth every night. (That's ok)
Sparky would brush his teeth every night.

4) People would use sun-dried bricks to build houses, but now they use red bricks. (It is incorrect...It is not a habit so we can't use 'would', is that right?)

5) Sparky would have parties on weekends. Now, he still does. (Is it ok?)

6) Passive with would

The pies would be made by my mother.( Passive ) (Is it ok?)

Last edited:

spongie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks for all the answers... But I have a little more questions about it.

1) Can we use 'used to' and 'would' with any specific time also such as in 2000, 5 hours ago,...etc? It depends on the sentence, but it's possible.

For example: In 1999, I always used to go to cinema, but now I like theatre. :up:

When I was a child I always used to get up at 5 pm. :up:

I used to be a student at that school five years ago. :up:

2)used to smoke

I have seen that in some websites we can't use 'would smoke'. ( I couldn't understand that because it is not a stative verb[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]) No, it's not a stative verb, it expresses habit, so we can say "would smoke".

I would smoke every time I was under a lot of stress. Do you see? We can. What is important here is that "would" is combined with "every time" which idicates that it was a habitual action in the past.

3) We usually use 'used to' to talk about important past habits. (I couldn't understand that... ) What is it that you don't understand? "Used to" can be used for both past habits and states.

Sparky used to brush his teeth every night. (That's ok) :up:
Sparky would brush his teeth every night. :up:

4) People would use sun-dried bricks to build houses, but now they use red bricks. :up:

5) Sparky would have parties on weekends. Now, he still does. :up:

6) Passive with would

The pies would be made by my mother. :up:( Passive ) All of those senteces are correct.

Not a teacher.

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Number 5 is so important for me.

Sparky would have parties on weekends. Now, he still does / But now, he doesn't. (It depends on whether he has it or not)

vs

Sparky used to have parties on weekends, but now he doesn't. (We can't say 'now, he still does' is that right?)

What I have understood is we can use 'would' instead of 'used to' even if we have that action/habit still now, is that right?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In 1999, I always used to go to the cinema, but now I like the theatre.
Not natural. We do not use ‘used’ to with specific times in the past, though we can use it with more general times, such as ‘when I was a child’.

I used to be a student at that school five years ago.
See note above. You may hear this in speech, when the time is mentioned almost as an afterthought.

Sparky wouldhave parties on weekends. Now, he still does.
The first sentence is natural only in the right context, not as a stand-alone utterance. “During his time at university, Sparky would have parties on weekends’.
The ‘Now’ in the second sentence implies contrast, so is not appropriate with ‘still’, which implies continuation.

As a single utterance, we’ use ‘used to’, but we could not follow that with ‘Now, he still does’ ‘Used to’ can be used only of an activity that no longer occurs – or one that stopped for some time. ‘Still’ is not possible, because it suggest that there was no break. We could say ‘He has started to have them on Saturdays again recently’.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi,

It is written that we can't use the verb 'be' when using 'would' instead of 'used to'.

Actually, something of an oversimplification. It is quite possible to use the verb 'be' when (as it occasionally does when accompanied by certain adjectives denoting a form of temporary behaviour) it is dynamic, e.g.

My little brother would always be silly and show off when people came round.

(Cf. He is being silly now.)

In the case of your cited sentence, or at least of very similar

Whenever I had forgotten to tidy my room, my mother would always be angry with me the next day, .

I would rate it equally acceptable, since, even though most speakers probably would not accept

*She is being angry.

the anger is nevertheless viewed as an habitual/recurrent state, and, as such qualifies for use with 'would'.

The key point in determining acceptability in such cases is actually habituality rather than pure verbal stativity/dynamicity. 'Used to do', on the other hand, covers both habituality and discontinued past states.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is written that ...
This is an unnatural construction in normal language. It is used mainly in religious contexts, where the speaker assumes that listeners know that 'it' is written in some holy book.

More natural would be:

"I (have) read in XXXX (name of book) that ..."
" YYYY (author's name) said/wrote/claimed/etc (in XXXX) that ..."

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"would'' and ''used to' expresses the idea that something was an old habit which stopped in the past. It says that an action was often repeated in the past, but it is not usually done now.

What I have understood is:

When I was a child I always used to/would watch tv all night, but nowadays I have started watching tv all night again.

or

I used to play computer games every day when I was a child. (I don't play any more)

I would play computer games when I was a child. (May be I play or not, is that ok?)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I was a child I always used to/would watch tv all night, [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] and (nowadays) I have started watching tv all night again.

I used to play computer games every day when I was a child. (I don't play any more):tick:

I would play computer games when I was a child. (Maybe (one word) I play or not, is that ok?) Yes

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow! What a great answer, Philo!

I could not sleep last night because I kept thinking that a sentence such as "She

would often be angry with me for no reason" was "correct," but I was afraid to

say so.

And this morning (It's 2: 30 a.m. in California) I read your super post, which I shall

now print out for my files.

A million thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I kept thinking that a sentence such as "She would often be angry with me for no reason" was "correct," but I was afraid to.
If you think that you might say, or might have heard, a construction, then don't hesitate to say so. It might be a spur to some of us to re-think a hasty judgement. Some teachers, both native and non-native, do have an unfortunate tendency to reject the evidence of their own ears/eyes, and label something as incorrect simply because it does not fit in with what they have read in some grammar book.

Remember that grammarians do not claim to be style guides. They attempt to describe the language as it is actually used. It is not physically possible for any writer, or team of writers, to give their opinion on every utterance. Remember, to, that probably more words are spoken and written in English every single day than are contained in all the corpora put together.

You, Parser, one native speaker, have almost certainly written or said more than 25,000,000 words in your life; probably ten times as many. The impressive British National Corpus contains only 100 million words.

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks for all the questions you have answered, and my last question about it.

As you have said, In 1999, I always used to go to the cinema, but now I like the theatre.
Not natural. We do not use ‘used’ to with specific times in the past, though we can use it with more general times, such as ‘when I was a child’.

That is ok, but does it contain 'would' in the past habits also?

Ten years ago, he would come here (often). (repeated action)

Can we construct a sentence like that?

Thanks...

Last edited:

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
1) Ten years ago, he would come here (often). (repeated action)

2) -I used to live in San Diego for five years. (It is not used to say how long.)

-I used to go to the gym several times. (It is not used to say how many times.)

Does it contain also 'would'?

3) She would bite her finger nails / smoke / take drugs.

Are they ok?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1) Ten years ago, he would come here (often). (repeated action)

2) -I used to live in San Diego for five years. (It is not used to say how long.)

Does it contain also 'would'?

Are they ok?
No they are not OK.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Are they ok?

CAUTION: NOT A TEACHER

(1) I think that the teachers always tell us learners to put everything into context.

(2) I think (repeat: think) that "She would bite her fingenails" could be correct in

the right context.

(3) Consider:

I just went to The Parser's funeral today. He was a nervous little old man. I used

to visit him three or four times a year, and I remember that he would always bite his

fingernails when I was there. May he rest in peace!

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

She would check her e-mail three times a day.

I think it is fine, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.