Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 596
    #1

    since I've heard/since I heard

    Hi, I'd like to know which sentence is ok
    Thanks.
    Rip
    1) It's been a while since I've heard from you
    2) It's been a while since I heard from you

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    Hi, I'd like to know which sentence is OK
    Thanks.
    Rip
    1) It's been a while since I've heard from you
    2) It's been a while since I heard from you
    The first one, if you put a full stop at the end.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    Hi, I'd like to know which sentence is ok
    Thanks.
    Rip
    1) It's been a while since I've heard from you
    2) It's been a while since I heard from you
    The second also works, but is better with an adverb, "It's been a while since I heard from you last." - unless you've only heard from this person once.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #4

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The second also works, but is better with an adverb, "It's been a while since I heard from you last." - unless you've only heard from this person once.

    Example:
    It's been ages since the last time we talked.

    Is the above sentence correct?

    And whenever we use the word 'last' in a sentence,then we have to use simple past tense with it?

    And which tense do we use with "ever since"?
    Example:He has changed a lot ever since.(Is it correct?)


    Thanks.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhiteY2K View Post
    Example:
    It's been ages since the last time we talked.

    Is the above sentence correct?
    Yes it is.

    And whenever we use the word 'last' in a sentence,then we have to use simple past tense with it?
    No, sometimes the past perfect is possible. But this would be comparatively rare.

    And which tense do we use with "ever since"?
    Usually the simple past.

    Example:He has changed a lot ever since.(Is it correct?)
    No. "He has changed a lot since then."

    Thanks.
    "Ever since" means at every point of time from then until now.

    "He has been getting fatter ever since his divorce" Correct.
    "He has changed a lot since his divorce." Correct.
    * "He has changed a lot ever since his divorce" Wrong

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #6

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Ever since" means at every point of time from then until now.

    "He has been getting fatter ever since his divorce" Correct.
    "He has changed a lot since his divorce." Correct.
    * "He has changed a lot ever since his divorce" Wrong
    Could you please explain to me the difference between 'ever since' and 'since then'.

    Thanks

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhiteY2K View Post
    Could you please explain to me the difference between 'ever since' and 'since then'.

    Thanks
    I just have.

  5. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,681
    #8

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    ever since
    1 : continually or often from a past time until now
    We both liked the idea and have been working on it ever since. [=since then] ▪ I went to the festival its first year and have been returning ever since.
    2 : continually from the time in the past when : since
    She's wanted to be a firefighter ever since she was a young girl.

    Go to Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

    The above example shows that the use of ever since is correct when you're talking about a repeated or permanent action while since then and since can be used to talk about a single action as well. (IMHO)
    Last edited by englishhobby; 06-Feb-2012 at 21:17.

  6. jimmy04's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 11
    #9

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    [QUOTE=Raymott;852954]"
    Hi Raymott/teachers, I am wondering that why you said it "would be" ... in this case.
    I also saw a lot of people use "would + bare infinitive" in daily conversation. what it really means and when to use it.
    Moreover, what is different btw "would + bare infinitive" and "would have + V3". Pls help to make them clear with some examples.
    Thanks in advance.

    P/s: I 'd like to say sorry to step in like this but I think it is somehow acceptable and usefull for others.

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #10

    Re: since I've heard/since I heard

    [QUOTE=jimmy04;853210]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "
    Hi Raymott/teachers, I am wondering that why you said it "would be" ... in this case.
    I also saw a lot of people use "would + bare infinitive" in daily conversation. what it really means and when to use it.
    Moreover, what is different btw "would + bare infinitive" and "would have + V3". Pls help to make them clear with some examples.
    Thanks in advance.

    P/s: I 'd like to say sorry to step in like this but I think it is somehow acceptable and usefull for others.
    I said, "This would be comparatively rare" because it's conditional. I meant "If I looked up the corpora ... If I did a study on this." Also, "If somebody actually said this ..."
    It is a way of saying "It is comparatively rare", when you don't have the statistics to back up that statement, but you're pretty sure it's true.

    Your further questions are unrelated to this thread. You should post a new thread for a new topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. may have heard versus probably have heard
    By duiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2010, 01:30
  2. never heard it.....but?
    By poorboy_9 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2010, 03:57
  3. never to be heard from again
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-May-2009, 15:42
  4. heard of him saying
    By brend10 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-May-2008, 00:03
  5. heard her say & heard she says
    By kayoox in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2007, 01:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •