Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello everybody,
For a long time I didn't use English language in writing. So I have one small problem and I need teachers help. In 2013 I'm gonna take English exam and my classmates told me that I don't have chance to pass the exam even though I'm the best student in my class, but I trust myself and my feelings can't lie to me. I feel that my writing and talking experience is well but not perfect. So how to prepare for exam? I listen music everyday, I watch english stuff on youtube sometimes I read newspapers but it aint't my favorite hobbie and of course I learn new vocabulary every day, in this year I learned more than 690 new words. Just advice me something. Thanks, regard.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello everybody,
For a long time I didn't use English language in writing. So I have one small problem, and I need teachers' help. In 2013 I'm [STRIKE]gonna[/STRIKE] going to take an English exam and my classmates told me that I don't have a chance [STRIKE]to pass[/STRIKE] of passing the exam, but I trust myself and my feelings can't lie to me. I feel that my writing and talking experience is [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] good but not perfect. So how [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] do/can I prepare for the exam? I listen to music everyspaceday, I watch english stuff on youtube sometimes, I read newspapers, but it [STRIKE]aint't[/STRIKE] isn't my favorite hobb[STRIKE]ie[/STRIKE]y, and of course I learn new vocabulary every day,. [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]t[/STRIKE]This year I learned more than 690 new words. Just [STRIKE]advice me something[/STRIKE] give me some advice. Thanks. [STRIKE]r[/STRIKE] Regards.
If you intend to take one of the internationally recognised examinations, such as FCE, IELTS, TOEFL, etc, then I would advise you to take lessons with a teacher who has experience of preparing learners for it. Unfortunately, a good knowledge of English is not enough for most people to obtain a high mark; you need practice in examination tchniques as well. A good school/teacher will also give you advice about the most appropriate examination for you to take.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thanks for correction, but I'm curious why did you correct gonna - to "going to" and ain't to "isn't" Is it not acceptable in British English?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for correction, but I'm curious why did you correct gonna - to "going to" and ain't to "isn't" Is it not acceptable in British English?
People come to this forum for models of correct standard English. 'Going to' is often pronounced in informal conversation as if it were spelt 'gonna', but 'gonna' is accepted as a spelling only in informal writing and chatrooms. 'Ain't' is not standard English in either speech or writing.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In preparing for formal exams, you need to practise the exam a lot and get feedback on why things were wrong or right, so that you become familiar with exactly what is being tested. Passing exams and getting good grades requires an understanding of the exam as well as a knowledge of English.

Which exam?

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
In preparing for formal exams, you need to practise the exam a lot and get feedback on why things were wrong or right, so that you become familiar with exactly what is being tested. Passing exams and getting good grades requires an understanding of the exam as well as a knowledge of English.

Which exam?

"State exam"

I have absolutely good understing of English language, but I can't express my ideas in English correctly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"State exam"

Can you get some sample papers? Do you know people who have taken the exam in the past who can give you some hints? Some websites have actual examples of previous exam papers. They can be very helpful in giving you an insight into the layout and structure of an exam and what you will probably be expected to do.

However, the advice you have been given is good. Get a teacher (preferably a native speaker or someone who has a native level) and get them to give you test exams. You would certainly lose marks in any written exam for "gonna" and "ain't", for example. Try not to use them at all otherwise they will become bad habits.

Listening to music sung in English will help with your comprehension but not with grammar, as many song lyrics are very ungrammatical. The same is true of many things on YouTube etc.

I would recommend finding well-written English websites - those of English newspapers and magazines for example. Read books in English. Listen to the BBC World Service radio station or any other BBC radio station that you can get on the internet (of course there are plenty of other radio stations but for British English, the BBC stations are good).

Status
Not open for further replies.