Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear all, could you pls tell me what does GLGH "Good luck and good hunting" mean? I learn "good hunting" in the movie Pearl Harbor. When Rafe was leaving for Britain to join the Eagle Squadron, his best friend, Danny saw him off and said "Good hunting, Rafe". I guess, it means something like "good luck". But there should be differences in terms of usage, right? Pls help...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear all, could you pls tell me what does GLGH "Good luck and good hunting" mean? I learn "good hunting" in the movie Pearl Harbor. When Rafe was leaving for Britain to join the Eagle Squadron, his best friend, Danny saw him off and said "Good hunting, Rafe". I guess, it means something like "good luck". But there should be differences in terms of usage, right? Pls help...
Welcome to the forums, Bettyy Szeto. Do you know what "hunting" means? If not, look it up in a dictionary and see if that helps you to understand.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all, could you [STRIKE]pls[/STRIKE] please tell me what [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] GLGH "Good luck and good hunting" means? I learnt "good hunting" in the movie Pearl Harbor. When Rafe was leaving for Britain to join the Eagle Squadron, his best friend, Danny saw him off and said "Good hunting, Rafe". I guess (no comma) it means something like "good luck" but [STRIKE]there should be[/STRIKE] are there differences in terms of usage? [STRIKE]right?[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Pls[/STRIKE] Please help.

5jj has given you good advice to start. Please also see my amendments to your post above in red.

Please remember to use full words on the forum. Using textspeak/webspeak like "pls" is not correct English and it can also be very confusing for beginners who may think that they are acceptable.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
5jj has given you good advice to start. Please also see my amendments to your post above in red.

Please remember to use full words on the forum. Using textspeak/webspeak like "pls" is not correct English and it can also be very confusing for beginners who may think that they are acceptable.
Much as I am flattered to be confused with 5jj, I should make it clear that it was I and not he.;-)

Betty Szeto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Welcome to the forums, Bettyy Szeto. Do you know what "hunting" means? If not, look it up in a dictionary and see if that helps you to understand.

Thank you for your suggestion, bhaisahab, but I know what "hunting" means. I have found my answer in WordReference.com. Someone has asked a similar question there, and got the following answer:

I think it's a stock phrase. I see it in the Chatspeak dictionary: "[SIZE=-1]GLGH, Good Luck And Good Hunting." Like "Now go out and get 'em!'"[/SIZE]

It helps me to better understand now. However, thank you all the same!

P.S.: I don't know much of how to quote yet, so If I made mistakes in the above quotation, please feel free to correct me, if possible.

Last edited:

Betty Szeto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Hi emsr2d2, it is very nice of you for correcting me. You have been very helpful. Thank you!

No textspeak/webspeak in the forum any more! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.