Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
FOWLER'S MODERN ENGLISH USAGE 3RD ED states that a clause beginning "and which" must have the same grammatical value as the first "which" clause.

i don't know what this mean, but Fow gave this example of a MISmatched "and which" clause:

"His writing has a childlike quality WHICH is appropirate, given that...AND WHICH i find endearing" (This is an approximate rendering, because i don't have the book with me)

Can some kind forum member explain what is wrong with the above sentence

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you want our comments on what people have written, then you need to quote what they have written, not your vague memory of what they might have written.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
FOWLER'S MODERN ENGLISH USAGE 3RD ED states that a clause beginning "and which" must have the same grammatical value as the first "which" clause.

i don't know what this mean, but Fow gave this example of a mismatched "and which" clause:

"His writing has a childlike quality WHICH is appropriate, given that...AND WHICH i find endearing" (This is an approximate rendering, because i don't have the book with me)

Can some kind forum member explain what is wrong with the above sentence

Thank you
Please remember to punctuate your sentences and capitalise "I".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do not have to warn you about my not being a teacher because, of course, I shall

not even try to answer such a difficult question.

I shall list the facts so that someone else can answer your question.

(1) On page 845 of the third edition of Fowler, there is your sentence:

In contrast Peake's use of elevated language has a childlike quality which is

appropriate given that the protagonist , Titus, is a boy, and which I found endearing.

(2) This sentence is labled "misfitted."

(3) The third edition quotes Fowler:

And which ...should not be used unless the coming which-clause has been preceded

by a clause or expression of the same grammatical value as itself.

OK, I have stated the facts. Now wait for a teacher's answer. Good luck!

Richard Togher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Page 845 of the third edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage says:

'And which ...should not be used unless the coming which-clause has been preceded by a clause or expression of the same grammatical value as itself.'

Fowler than gives the following as an example of a MISmatched and which clause

"In contrast Peake's use of elevated language has a childlike quality which is appropriate given that the protagonist , Titus, is a boy, and which I found endearing."

I do not know what is wrong with this claue, that is, i don't know what is meant by same grammatical value

Can any forum members please enlighten me

PS Thanks, PARSER, for providing the exact quote

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"In contrast Peake's use of elevated language has a childlike quality which (grammatical subject) is appropriate given that the protagonist , Titus, is a boy, and which (grammatical object) I found endearing."
The 'grammatical values' are in blue.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

i don't know what this mean, but Fow gave this example of a MISmatched "and which" clause:

Should it not be "I don't know what this means"? When I spotted "mean" without "s" I thought it was a typo, but seeing other typos corrected I began to wonder.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Should it not be "I don't know what this means"?
Yes

Richard Togher

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, forum members, for your insights.

If I were to attempt to rephrase the mismatched sentence, using matching grammatical values, would the following be correct?

'In contrast Peake's use of elevated language has a childlike quality which is appropriate given that the protagonist, Titus, is a boy, AND WHICH IS, at least in my view, ENDEARING"

In addition, would the sentence be easier to read if the words 'In contrast' were followed by a comma?

My I ask our moderator if it is usual practice to give a reply of 'thanks' to forum posts. I usually give thanks beforehand, because I personally find receiving emails of 'thanks', even from people that I know, irritating, but this may just be me

Thank you!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The 'Like' button developed from a 'Thanks' button' - which was introduced to avoid just the annoyance that you feel (about extra posts that just say 'Thank you'). Some people object to the term 'like' - and I have to admit I sometimes feel inappropriately Cool when using that button. But I do, as many people do, just to acknowledge someone else's effort.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.