Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Could I say:

1) I want to be at work on time. (meaning: punctually, at the planned time, neither late nor
early)
2) I want to be at work in time. (meaning: with enough time to spare before my work starts as
planned or arranged)

3) I want to be at work in time because I intend to have a cup of coffee there before my shift
starts.

Greetings from Bavaria,

Joern

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1) I want to be at work on time. (meaning: punctually, at the planned time, neither late nor early) :tick:
2) I want to be at work in time. (meaning: with enough time to spare before my work starts as planned or arranged) This does not sound natural to me.

3) I want to be at work in time because I intend to have a cup of coffee there before my shift starts.
No. We'd probably use 'early' instead of 'in time', or: "I want to be at work in time to have a cup of coffee there before my shift starts."

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

Thank you very much for your answer. What is the difference between "in time" and "early". In what context and sense can I use
the expression "in time"? Why can I not use "in time" in my sentence number 3 but in the one in blue you rephrased right below?

What about these sentences?

1) Because I prepared for my A-level test early/in time, I passed it.

2) As my severely injured friend arrived in hospial in time/early, he survived.

Which expression or word can I use here and why?

I am looking forward to your answer.

Greetings from Bavaria:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.