Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
We say "Shall we see a movie?"when we are referring to the cinema. Would it be correct if I say "Shall we watch a movie?"

Thanks.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not merely correct, actually preferable! 'See' with 'movie' tends to occur mainly in the past tense, e.g.

I saw a good movie yesterday.

or the future

We're going to see a movie tomorrow.

but in other forms, including hortatives such as 'Shall we...?', 'watch' tends to be more common.

In some cases, most notably the present progressive with real present reference, 'see' verges on unacceptable, thus

A: What are you doing at the moment?
B: I'm watching a movie.

(rather than: ?...seeing...)

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
The OALD says that the verb shall is getting more and more unpopular, even amongst the British where it originally appeared.
I don't understand why learners continue using this verb ;-)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't understand why learners continue using this verb.

It's because 'Shall we watch a film?' does not mean the same as 'Will we watch a film?'

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The OALD says that the verb shall is getting more and more unpopular, even amongst the British where it originally appeared. I don't understand why learners continue using this verb
The OALD says this of 'shall' with future reference. It then says, "In BrE shall is still used with I and we in questions or when you want to make a suggestion or offer". Learners use it because it is correct and natural in BrE.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
From the repy by Philo, can I conclude that if I ask my friend whether he wants to go to the cinema with me, I would have to ask "Shall we see a movie?" However, when my friend and I are in the cinema and the movie has started, then I say "We are watching a movie."

Thanks.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
From the repy from Philo, can I conclude that if I ask my friend whether he wants to go to the cinema with me, I would have to ask "Shall we see a movie?". However, when my friend and I are in the cinema and the movie has started, then I say "We are watching a movie."
I think if you turned to your friend and said 'We are watching a movie', he might feel that he didn't really need to be told this. ;-) philo's last example is more realistic.

If my neighbour says to me, "Shall we see a movie this evening?" I assume that she is suggesting a trip to the cinema. If she says, "Shall we watch a movie this evening?" I assume that she is suggesting that we sit in front of my DVD player.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, 5JJ.

Your explanation leaves me with no doubt regarding the topic. Many thanks.

Last edited:

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
It's because 'Shall we watch a film?' does not mean the same as 'Will we watch a film?'
What would be the difference? I guess with 'shall' it is like a suggestion and 'will' is like asking have we decided to see a movie. Is that so?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The OALD says that the verb shall is getting more and more unpopular, even amongst the British where it originally appeared.
I don't understand why learners continue using this verb ;-)

It is alive and well in BrE in some uses.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Well, I admit I was wrong. Just didn't read that carefully.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
From the repy by Philo, can I conclude that if I ask my friend whether he wants to go to the cinema with me, I would have to ask "Shall we see a movie?" However, when my friend and I are in the cinema and the movie has started, then I say "We are watching a movie."

Thanks.

Correct regarding the second part. However, if you read my post carefully, you'll see that I recommend 'watch' also for the first example!

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
What would be the difference? I guess with 'shall' it is like a suggestion and 'will' is like asking have we decided to see a movie. Is that so?
It seems that my question get shadowed :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're right, though- will we watch a movie could be a decision, an imposition, etc. :up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure if I'm not reading Philo correctly (entirely possible) or if I simply completely disagree.

I'm in complete agreement with 5jj. I would never suggest we "watch" a movie if I'm asking my friend if we should spend our evening at the cinema.

A: What do you want to do tonight?
B: I don't know. Want to go see a movie? -- Clearly a trip the cinema.
B: I don't know. Want to go watch a movie? -- Not natural, unless you add something like "at my house, where I have a ton of movies on DVD."
B: I don't konw. Want to watch a movie? -- Implies you have movies at home to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.