Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
UK
Would the following words (commonly used in Math) be classified as abstract nouns?

1. DISTANCE: We only see, touch etc. objects that possess distance, but not distance itself. That would, I assume apply equally to the nouns: width, height and length which would also be abstract.

WEIGHT and VOLUME: Ditto for these two. We only see, touch feel objects that possess them.

QUANTITY: We do not see, hear, touch quantity. Only the objects that are seen to have a quantity.

MONEY: Is money an abstract concept? Coins and notes are visible and tactile, but money isn't.

TIME: Is certainly abstract.

PLACE VALUES: e.g. Hundreds, Tens and Ones. Aren't these abstract ideas?

I shall be extremely grateful for your clarification/confirmation, Thank you!

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Many abstract nouns can be re-conceptualised as concrete nouns eg.

Abstract
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Concrete
He ran different distances.

Check this out on page 3.

Last edited:

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am a little puzzled as to why this post is categorized as a question about grammar.

The abstract/concrete distinction (unlike, e.g. that of count/noncount) has no direct bearing on grammar...

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I might be wrong but I guess that might have something to do with the article to be used with those words.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The abstract/concrete distinction (unlike, e.g. that of count/noncount) has no direct bearing on grammar...
I considerthis falls under the broad heading of grammar. What would you call it?

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I considerthis falls under the broad heading of grammar. What would you call it?

Semantics. 'Abstract' and 'concrete' are types of meaning.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Semantics. 'Abstract' and 'concrete' are types of meaning.
Indeed, but, as definitions such as those below can be found in many dictionaries, I think it's reasonable enough for a learner to think that the question of concrete and abstract nouns could be seen as falling 'under the broad heading of grammar'.

the branch of linguistics that deals with syntax and morphology, sometimes also phonology and semantics - Definition of grammar | Collins English Dictionary

A book containing the morphologic, syntactic, and semantic rules for a specific language - grammar - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

the whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics - Definition for grammar - Oxford Dictionaries Online (World English)

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Indeed, but, as definitions such as those below can be found in many dictionaries, I think it's reasonable enough for a learner to think that the question of concrete and abstract nouns could be seen as falling 'under the broad heading of grammar'.

Semantics is clearly only marginally included under the heading of grammar, but if you accept a definition of 'grammar' so broad as to be virtually meaningless, then, yes, I suppose it is reasonable.

EOC

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Semantics is clearly only marginally included under the heading of grammar, but if you accept a definition of 'grammar' so broad as to be virtually meaningless, then, yes, I suppose it is reasonable.
I am happy to go along with definitions provided by many dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.