Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You might. These days we tend to use the spelling the people themselves use(d).

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If it is so, why do we write Alexander Pushkin, Alexander Solzhenitsyn,Bartholomew Diaz and Anton(y) van Leeuwenhoek instead of Alexandr Pushkin,Alexandr Solzhenitsyn,Bartolomeu Dias and Antonie van Leeuwenhoek.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Alexander' is a pretty close representation of 'Алекса́ндр', I think. The other two are hangovers from a time in the past when people tended to anglicise names.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The advice is to use the spelling used by the person in their native language, if there are letters that correspond to English. The challenge comes when the alphabet itself is different.

Look at how many ways are considered acceptable spellings of Hanukkah, all attempts to use English letters to approximate the pronunciation. You'll find the same thing with names and other proper nouns.

Don't worry about the practice of the past.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
'Alexander' is a pretty close representation of 'Алекса́ндр', I think.
Back 5jj up on that as a native. In Russian I have never come across the translated name Alexandr.
Here is another proof, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Pushkin.
We mostly use Alexander or Alex if we need to write the name 'Алекса́ндр' in English.

I wouldn't criticize you if you called me Alexandr, but I would feel that the name is misspelled.

I have this funny story being said by a friend of mine.
His name is Slava that is Слава in Russian. Слава can also be used as a noun in Russian and can be translated into English as a glory or a fame.
I don't know why but a foreign colleague called him Slave (he didn't write so, he said that). And despite my friend resisting that, the colleague kept calling him Slave. :)

P.S. By the way, my name is Alexander but I tend to shorten it to Alex as English speakers are more used to it.
P.P.S. I was told Alexander and Alex are different names.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
P.S. By the way, my name is Alexander but I tend to shorten it to Alex as English speakers are more used it.
P.P.S. I was told Alexander and Alex are different names.

Alexander is a very common name in the US. Many go by Alex and some go by Zander. (I think that's kind of cool. I think they spell it Zander, though I suppose they may spell it Xander.)

There's no difference between Alex and Alexander, except that Alex is a "nickname" for Alexander, like "Dave" for David or "Rob" for "Robert."

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have no idea about Russian orthography,but the story goes that in the beginning we had Aleksandr; then it was changed to Alexandr and finally the Anglicized form Alexander.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Wow, :shock:. Both Zander and Xander sound cool to me as well.
I am thinking of getting a new name when going abroad/communicating with foreign collegagues :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have no idea about Russian orthography,but the story goes that in the beginning we had Aleksandr; then it was changed to Alexandr and finally the Anglicized form Alexander.

Which story is that?

Last edited:

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States

May be. I was born at the end so can only tell you about things connected with this time ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Whom is this question addressed to?
I have now clarified that. I thought my post would come immediately after balakrishnanijk's, but yours got in first.

ps. If we are being formal, it's "To whom is this question addressed?" More normal is "Who is this question addressed to?" We tend not to mix the formal 'whom' with the less formal preposition at the end.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The same old story of the Internet.
If you Google the name of the Russian poet, what you find is Aleksandr(which seems to smack of Russian) and the Anglicized Alexander with rare appearances of Alexandr, which seems to be a hybrid of both Russian and English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you Google the name of the Russian poet, what you find is Aleksandr(which seems to smack of Russian) and the Anglicized Alexander with rare appearances of Alexandr, which seems to be a hybrid of both Russian and English.
But you claimed, "the story goes that in the beginning we had Aleksandr; then it was changed to Alexandr and finally the Anglicized form Alexander".That's what I asked about.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
As far as I am concerned, the name Alexander originally came to Russia from Greece at the time when Greece had much influence in the world.
The Russian seems to just dropped the last two letters from the initial Greek name Aléxandros.
Then the UK and their language derived from Latin appeared on the scene. To the best of my knowledge the UK and Russian Empire were hostile.
Pretty much the same were the relationships with the USSR not counting the period of World War II. Starting from 1980's - the influence of British and American culture has made great impact on the Russia and other republics like Belarus.
So, of course since the time Alexandr Pushkin was alive, a lot has changed in the sense of language evolution.

Last edited:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you so much for the answer. I just hope it doesn't detract from the respect and admiration I have for the great poet however I spell his name.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Psst - Alex: English evolved a Germanic root, not a Latin one.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Oh.. then I have to update my knowledge in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.